Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where's my check engine light?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PonchoCatalina, Jun 23, 2005.

1. PonchoCatalina

PonchoCatalina Registered Member

My '86 Suburban has been running rich, so I figured that I would check for trouble codes. I prepared my special computer-code-deciphering paper clip and entered the vehicle only to find that I don't seem to have a check engine light. I checked my owner's manual, and where it shows the light (high and between the speedo and gas gauge), there is nothing - just smooth faux aluminum cluster facade. The manual indicates that only California light duty emissions and federal heavy duty emissions vehicles had the CEL's. What gives? - since my Suburban is a half-ton, non-California vehicle, is there indeed no light? Thanks for your thoughts on this.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Shouldn't be a CEL, do you have an O2 sensor or ALDL connector under the dash for your paperclip? I suspect not on both accounts.

3. PonchoCatalina

All I found under the dash was a small black box housing a printed circuit board with a multi-port plug attached to it (beneath the radio). It did not appear to have an ALDL port. Is there no ALDL port on a 1986 light-duty Suburban?

4. dyeager535

Only CA and TBI trucks would have a CEL. Computer controlled carb is what would get an '86 a CEL/ALDL. You don't need/get a CEL without an ECM to notice a problem.

Sounds like a CA '86 would have the CEL light in the diesel wait light location (or is that water in fuel light?) while the choke light was in the normal location. 1987+ the CEL replaced the choke light, in the same location of course.

5. PonchoCatalina

6. dyeager535

Yes, CCC/TBI all have ECM's, thus CEL. (and ALDL)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2005
  7. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

For my truck, the SES is one of the idiot lights under the speedo. There is a chance that your bulb may be burnt out :)