Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where's my trans cooler?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GMC4by4, Sep 7, 2000.

1. GMC4by4

GMC4by4 Registered Member

Where\'s my trans cooler?

I was looking at my truck and it seems like the previous owner disconnected my stock trans cooler-it's still there, but the lines aren't hooked up. I don't do any towing or severe duty activity so will leaving it like this damage my transmission?

-Rick

2. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Re: Where\'s my trans cooler?

Your stock tranny cooler is in the radiator. If the lines aren't hooked to anything, your gonna have a helluva leak and no fluid in the tranny. If you're meaning an aftermarket cooler that has been bypassed or the factory that has been bypassed to an aftermarket then you'll be okay, kinda. The cooler the better on these things, so hook the lines up pretty much no matter what.

Kyle
    89K5

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Yes, I would hook up the lines, an auto tranny needs to be cool to stay alive..

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

4. GMC4by4

Well, I have some sort of radiator that's about a foot square and about 2" thick sitting in front of the A/C and coolant radiators not hooked to anything and if it's not for the transmission, then I'm going to have to do some research. Any ideas?

-Rick

5. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)

Yes that sounds like a tranny cooler, it may have been dealer installed or installed by a previous owner. I have NO IDEA why someone would disconnect it? they may have had a leak in the rubber lines that would have ran from the factory cooler in the radiator to the external cooler and instead of replacing them they just disconnected it (maybe a trail side repair), you could buy 2 new fittings for the tranny line and the radiator and about 5' of hose, and 4 hose clamps, and hook it back up. very easy! And you definitely want it!

6. GMC4by4

Thanks, I'll add that to the top of my list of repairs!!

-Rick

7. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

FLUSH IT OUT BEFORE YOU HOOK IT UP!!!!

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

8. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

GMC4X4,
    I have a '90 GMC Jimmy. It came with a trailering package on it. It has a transmission cooler which is on the passanger side of the radiator, and it has an oil cooler which is on the driver's side of the radiator.