Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wheres the beef? HERES THE BEEF!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by willyswanter, Oct 27, 2002.

1. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, built myself a drop hitch today...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's about an 18" drop hitch. The main bar is 24" long. The part that slides into the receiver is solid 2" bar. The main part that the hitch is made of is 1" x 4.5" solid bar with a 1" thick gusset down the back as well as 1/2" gussets between it and the 2" bar. 1/2" gussets at the base too. BEEFY! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

And that, my friends, is what we call overkill! Bet that thing is heavy....and you can be sure the hitch pin IS the weak link. Nice design.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Make sure you wear your lifting belt when you slide that baby in the receiver! Very nice, overkill is cool! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font color>

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Off Road Unlimited makes some serious drop hitches. They have some in 14", 16", 18" and 20" drops. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Bad thing is, prices start at $325 and go up to $415. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

5. willyswanter

Yeah, I saw those when I was down at there shop last. They were all chrome /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Anyway, this one cost me 36 bucks for the steel and a box of 3/16" welding rod.

6. thatK30guy

So you are close to their shop? How about going back over there and take pics of Big Bird? With CA being 24 hours away, I don't have time to come take pics of that bad boy myself. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. willyswanter

I'm about 1.5-2 hours from there shop. I drove down there everyday for 2 weeks while they built my sfa brackets and axle. And yes the big yellow truck was there, and it's a beauty. Some great fab work on that thing. No pics though /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I spent most of my time crawling over the unlimited thunder race suburban. That thing was freakin awesome. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Every time I think of that place it puts me in a bad mood. They offered me a job there but there was just no way I could make the commute since I have obligations here as well. Wasn't bad pay either... Not to mention how freakin awesome it would be to work there.

8. thatK30guy

Damn! Thats a shame you had to pass that offer up. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I know I would love to work there! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I've always wanted to see Big Bird up close and personal. One of these days its gonna happen because my goal before seeing BB was to see BIGFOOT and that dream became reality when I met with KRAZIE87K5 and Mudzer at St. Louis. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I just need to find some time in the summer to make the 24 hour trek to Cali to see BB in person. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Long drive if you ask me. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Just try to remember not to wack your shin on that thing. I aways forget those damn things are still on the truck and wack my shin. Hurts like a somebitch !!!!!

10. willyswanter

Yeah and with that hitch I think it would win /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    unlimited thunder race suburban.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Are you talking about that silver beast that was at the Expo? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. willyswanter

Yes I am. You should see it with the body off /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif . Thing is a jungle gym of tube. The guy that built it is the same guy that built my axle and he took me on a tour and showed me all the screwed up tubes behind the shop, I'm glad I'm not the only one that screws a bend up every now and then /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

13. willyswanter

New Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. thatK30guy

Lookin' good! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

How about some pics of the truck you installed the hitch onto? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I wanna see the SFA conversion that was done to this thing.

15. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

SFA conversion

[/ QUOTE ] me too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. willyswanter

Alrighty then, the whole buildup can be viewed HERE Heres some random pics though:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Currently collecting parts for the rear 4 link with coilovers. Soon as thats done I'm getting custom driveshafts front and rear. It's slowly getting there...

17. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Couple of items to note/ask:
    1. I want your truck
    2. Excellant drop hitch
    3. What height is that ball from the ground ?
    I'm currently trying to fiqure out my towing situation with my current lift.
    4. What do you tow with the hitch at that height...is a car trailer about that height ?

Thanks,
    Blake

18. willyswanter

I've been told when selecting a drop hitch in general the bottom of the ball should be about 18" off the ground. But both of my trailers, a dump trailer and a tractor trailer, are at 16" off the ground when level. So I made mine at 17" so the truck can sag a bit with the trailer weight and the trailer will be level. I'm getting a 24 foot car trailer here shortly so I'll see how it works out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. thatK30guy

Man, thats just so sweet!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Even the D60 looks damn good, too!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I just need to find some time in the summer to make the 24 hour trek to Cali to see BB in person.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Let us know before you leave so I can hide the goats /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif