Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where's the heat????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Big Block Dave, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Big Block Dave

Big Block Dave Registered Member

Where\'s the heat????

Hey guys, Im hoping that Im just stupid and cant figure this out....

Back in Oct, I put a fresh GM L05 in my Jimmy. In the Fall weather she ran very cool (a hair above the gauge marker between 100 and 210....so I guess like 175-180), and I think I had heat at the time.

Now with the temps in the single digits, and 2 feet of snow on the ground, the temp is cooler yet(at the line between 100-210), and the heat seems to be very week.....this is after I threw in a 195 thermostat about a month ago. With the 180 stat, I had no heat whatsoever.

Well, it seems like, YES, the truck does run ice cold, but shouldnt I be getting a bit more heat than just some moderately warm air coming out of my vents?

It sounds like the door is closing up, and when I move the lever to COLD, it gets super cold, but it just seems like Im missing something here......I would think that I should be able to drive and actually keep myself and passengers warm, and keep my windows from getting fogged!:D

thanks for any help!
    Dave

2. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

Re: Where\'s the heat????

could it just be your hetaer blower motor isnt working ?

3. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

Make sure your fluid is full. If it's not then I would also replace the radiator cap. Changing the cap and thermostat fixed my problems.

Brett /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif77 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif74

4. evilandangry

evilandangry 1/2 ton status

How is the fluid level in the radiator? You could have an air bubble in the heater but its not likely. Check under the hood and see if the cable that opens the flow to the heater core is actual moving the valve. I owned a car that the heat valve had to be opened by hand (once a year here in Maine /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

5. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem this winter on my '87. Pull your glove box off and check that the cables are moving the various doors on the heater as you move the levers. Sometimes they break off the actuator at the heater. It could be the heater core is air locked...mine was. The water flow on mine comes from the rear of the intake thru the core and into the radiator just below the cap. I lowered the level in the rad enough to see the return flow, just a trickle...I pulled both hoses off the core and tried flushing with a garden hose, it "bubbled" and sputtered a bit and flowed fine, and no debris came out. I hooked everything back up, topped the rad off and tried it,worked fine after that. My guess was it was air locked.

6. Big Block Dave

Thanks for the replies guys.

Red...as it turns out, last night I dumped out my glove box and shoved it down so I could peek behind.....I operated all the levers and they are all functioning properly.

I felt both hoses coming in and out of the core, and they feel warm after running, but not hot.

I'll try your technique and see what happens.......the foggy window routine is just not cuttin it anymore.

7. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Find out what your actual radiator temp is. If its low you may want to put a piece of cardboard over a portion of your radiator. On the Diesels I know it takes a bit to warm them up and I see alot of grills covered with stuff!!!

8. Big Block Dave

Sk....I thought about that too.....except I am one lazy somnabich and will let it get all wet and soggy, and eventually I'll be cleaning bits of cardboard oatmeal out of my radiator.......I was thinking about putting a piece of sheetmetal in front of the lower part of the radiator.......like I said...lazy, so I was just "thinking";)