Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where's your ECU?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MTPockets, Feb 12, 2002.

1. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

Where\'s your ECU?

I have recently purchased the Holley Pro-Jection system. The instructions say NOT to install the ECU in engine compartment or the glove box. They also say it needs to be in an area with adequate ventilation. My dilemma is that my k5 interior is not 'computer equipment friendly.'
    So where is your ECU, wether its the stock one or aftermarket?

thanks,

MTPockets

MAD MAX: http://community.webshots.com/user/mtpockets35

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Re: Where\'s your ECU?

Most stock ones are up behind the glove box, but on a K-5 that isn't the roomest place. I'd try for the spot under the dash by the e-brake.

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the damn thing!!

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The stock location is up behind the glove box mounted to the bottom of the dash. You have to pull the glove box to get to it. Its about the best place to put one. My MSD 6-A box is also mounted there. Its cool dry and protected there.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze> Blazer pics</a>

<font color=blue>Nevada... Where the pavement ends and the west begins

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

For ventilation you could always disconnect the AC/heater vent hoses behind the dash going to the vent nearest the passenger door and run them onto the box if you mounted it behind the glove box. Hell you passengers don't need the air circulatioon anyway. You would always have to run with the AC, heater, or vent on all the time though. As long as you and the box get A/C then thats all that matters. Just a thought.[​IMG]

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

6. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

A solution to the ventilation problem is an easy one. Radio Shack has 12V PC cooling fans on the cheap. Mount the ECU behind the glove box and mount the fan to the box, wired to a "key on" hot wire. Whenever the truck is on the fan will cool the ECU. Make sure the fan blows in the correct direction, as they are easy to reverse.

Haze gray and underway...<font color=blue>or blue, in my case.</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/abshort>U.S.S. Nimitz II</a>

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

It sounds like they want you to mount that thing on the dash! Yes, everybody wants their component in a location that is cool, dry and has 1000CFM of air blowing on it all the time. The problem is that cars don't have this magic location. The closest thing is probably the cars that have the engine controller mounted in the air intake.

My advice is just to find a spot that is out of the way and that does not have the ECU packed tight against everything. If the box gets hot and it is insulated on all sides, that is bad. If it has some room around it, and it gets warm, that will create convection and hey, that is airflow. If that doesn't work just fine, then the design of their box just plain stinks.

<font color=green>Top signs you don't have a real 4x4:
    4) Twin Traction Beam
    3) Made by D.C.
    2) 5 lug nuts
    1) Unibody</font color=green>

8. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

I really dig how this forum works, experience and knowledge at my fingertips. I like the convection principle, my glove box is in no way sealed and insulated. I haven't used it since I got the center console, and i could mount one of those little radio shack fans in there as well. The other factor I left out is this ECU has adjustment knobs for tuning the fuel map, and I would like to have easy access.
    thanks!

MTPockets

MAD MAX: http://community.webshots.com/user/mtpockets35

9. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I think in your glovebox would ok especially if you build a fan into it! Our K5's are pretty open under the dash and should have decent ventilation inot it. I would add the fan as a precaution though!

Mike

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>EMMETT</a>
    says: "<font color=green>It ain't easy being Green!</font color=green>