Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whew.... Catastrophe Avoided!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bluehen, Mar 27, 2007.

1. bluehen

bluehen 1/2 ton status

Had some intermittent squealing from one of my v-belts. I figured it was prob the alternator belt since it would mostly do it under an electrical load. Popped the hood this weekend and got a chill from what I saw. The pivot bolt on the alternator had come loose ( or wasn't tightened properly when I replaced the belts) and was inches away from the fan. I can only imagine the damage that sucker would have done if the bolt reached the fan. Fortunately it's all under check, belt tension back to where it should be, and the only squealing is from the passengers. :o

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I had a fan blade fly off once while I was driving. I saw the hood pop up a bit, then there was a small dent from underneath, I didn't know what it was at first. I pulled off, everything looked ok, continued driving, in about 100 miles, the water pump went and that's when I noticed the fan was no longer balanced. :eek:

3. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

Had a fan blade let go at about 3000 rpm in my '49 chev p/u. Heard a LOUD bang and then got all sorts of vibrations. Pulled into the gas station and found the blade stuck half way through the inner fender. Good thing mine didn't go through the hood.