Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which 15" 8 lug rims are you running...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mnstr_fx, Mar 29, 2002.

1. mnstr_fx

mnstr_fx Registered Member

Which 15\" 8 lug rims are you running...

Called the discount tire places today and as usual they tried to scare me off of ordering 15" 8 lug rims for my 1 ton. I went back and searched the postings and saw a couple of different threads talking about backspacing and how much grinding you have to do to get the rims to clear. I know from trying to get 15" rims to fit on a drag car, (better known as slicks), that not all 15" rims are created equal. Some rims have a much squarer profile than others. This would help in clearing the calipers.

What I am going to order is 44 Swamper / Bogger combo on 15" x 10/12" chrome steel rims. I am looking at ~4" backspacing. This will require some grinding of the caliper in the front, Dana 60, and maybe a little on the rear calipers, (rear disc conversion on 14FF). The rims I have been quoted are Eaton, US Wheel and I think Rock Crawlers.

Does anyone run these rims on there 1 Ton trucks??? If so, which ones and what was the back spacing?

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Re: Which 15\" 8 lug rims are you running...

I have US Wheel White Trackers in 15x10" with 4 1/8" backspacing. It will be alot less grinding if you go with 3 1/2" backspacing but that is up to you.

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have eatons from national wheel & tire. They are 15x10 w/ 3.5" BS (what was standard when I bought them...FRIZZLEFRY said 3.75 is now standard). The rear went on w/o much grinding on the caliper (disc w/ D44 calipers) just removing the casting flash. On the front I only had to grind the caliper (not too much but more than the rear) and no grinding of the backing plate. I have the backing plates off of a 77 that are 1/4" thick all the way around. I beat in the parts that would rub w/ a BFH and then had to grind the caliper opening so it would fit. I don't think I lost any strength form grinding the little I did (just a bit of rust would eat away that much). I am glad I went w/ the 3.5 and not 4 or more BS.

Edit:
    I am running a 3/4 ton D44 in the front.

4. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

ive got 4 1/2 back spacing on my 1 ton it took some grinding on the front but i didnt have to grind the back at all.i have a disc brake conversion on the back so thats why i didnt have to do any grinding back there.i havent had any problems sence i ground the calipers. my wheels are 15x10

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

US Wheel chrome trackers 15x10 4 1/8" (4.125) backspacing

I will be switching to black wheels soon though.

I'd use 15x12 or 15x14 wheels if you can afford them. 44" Boggers are 19.5" wide!

6. mnstr_fx

mnstr_fx Registered Member

Thanks for all the replies guys. I am leaning toward the 15 x 12" rims with 4" of backspcing. 3.5" would work and I am not too worried about tire scrubbing BUT, MAN that is alot of rim to leave hanging out there!! Any suggestions / preferences of going with 4" over 3.5". It sounds like there will be some grinding with either backspacing.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't think it matters. You're going to have a lot sticking out anyway.

8. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i am runnin stockton wheel bead locks...with 3 1/4 back spacing...very little grinding...i like em but the wait to get em sucks ass...a month and 3 days...when they orig told me 2 weeks

9. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

Just finished grinding one of my calipers for a 15 x 10 rim w/4.25" backspacing. I had to take off alot to get them to fit. I think that I am going to space them out 1/4" because I have grinded so much already. I wish I had 3 1/2" backspacing.

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I would go w/ the Eatons. They are 1/4" thick in the center, are the only ones that come in black, and that extra 1/4" less BS will mean alot less grinding (don't think just about the wheel bearings...think about how strong the caliper is going to be). They were $68 each for the 15x10 and 15x12 shouldn't be much more than the 10's. BS different than their standard is $15 per wheel