Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which 6 lug rear axle is stronger?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by COCHEV, Jan 8, 2005.

1. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

a factory 6 lug dana 60 or a 14 bolt sf 6 lug off a 88+ truck? i can a good deal on a the dana 60 but is it old and out dated? its out of a late 60s or early 70s short wide gmc with posi and 3.45 gears. don't know anything more about it like spline count and rear disc options. anyone?

2. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Need more info on the 60 such as spline count and sf or ff. But the 60 is most likely the better choice.

3. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

the 60 is a 6 lug, sf. unsure of the spline count. was hoping someone here new more about em. they are rare and you had to special order em when you bought your truck back then.

4. WantedaDodge

WantedaDodge 1/2 ton status

I know mopars, they were 3.54 gear sets... I'd imagine that's what it is... A much closer match to a set of 3.55s.

I'd take the d60, but I am considering hunting down a 9.5 inch 14bt SF for my truck...

5. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

the sf 60 out of an older GM truck should have 30 spline shafts. ring gear is .25" more than the 14 bolt sf. I dont know much about 14 sf's, but I would have to say I'd go with the 60.

6. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

This would be my guess too....

...and if it's true, the 14SF will have bigger axle shafts!:waytogo:

At 33 spline, I'd go w/ the semifloater.

Marv

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

but you have to keep in mind that shaft diameter isnt guaranteee that its stronger than another axle model just because it has a little smaller diameter shafts, theres other weak points such as gears strength(thickness) and with soem ratios usaully lower deeper ones that there is lots less tooth contact area, and some models have smaller pinion stem diameter, etc

theres alot to find out and consider and with anything else there will be tradeoffs

mopar used 8 3/4" and dana 60 axles, 3.54 was extremely common, gm ford chgrysler all had 3.54 very commonly, mostyly trucks though, but alot of chrysler cars too yeah, earlier ones

yu never see any big old chrysler cars that would have either axle model under them here, very rare, i have no idea what a chry 8 3/4" looks like, have yet to find such a car to look under, anywhere

good luck

8. WantedaDodge

well, none of the chryslers would be 6 bolts for starters.

An 8 3/4 looks much like a 9 inch ford...

I was just saying I didn't think it was a 3.45 ratio...

9. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I don't know much about 6 lug D60's but my opinion, I would go with the 14BSF maily because parts availability and prices of parts should be much better with a common axle. An older axle that was only available as a special order option may be hard to find rebuild or regear parts for. Especially if you break in an inconvienient spot.

10. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i'll second that. they are probly close to equal in strength, but i'd rather have the one that 20+ years newer.

11. WantedaDodge

the only thing that would be different from a regular d 60 would be the axle shafts. I don't think it would be to hard to find parts for. Should be the same axle bearings and such.

Then again, I don't really know how common the 14 bolt 9.5 inch is.

12. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

13. gonecheenin

gonecheenin 1/2 ton status

14 bolt sf

Anyone know the difference in width (wms-wms) between the 12 bolt 6 lug and the 88' and up IFS 14 bolt sf 6 lug?

I was gonna do this swap so i could keep the 6 lug pattern but i'm worried about being any wider in the rear cause of the tight trails i run ( I have a k5 with a tube chassis on it)

But with the 39.5 x18 boggers i run i'm afraid of upgrading the 12 bolt just to have if fail ( which i'm sure it would even with a total weight of only 2900lb)

would the 14 bolt ff be any narrower then the IFS sf, i would think it would be but i'm not sure

Been searching, but haven't found anything yet

14. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I'd personally choose the newer 14SF just because I know the axle. Regardless, always carry spare axle shafts when running a SF offroad.