Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which alternator to get??

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 6.2Blazer, Mar 12, 2004.

1. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Well, last weekend I was leading a trail ride and got into a mudhole deeper than expected......anyway, the alternator stopped working shortly afterwards and is now toast.

What do you guys recommend as a replacement? Autozone and Napa both list one around 78 amps, and one around 105 amps, but the Autozone guy told me the 105 amp wasn't a direct bolt-in??? Does anyone know what the factory alt. was rated at ('90 Silverado model).

I'm hoping to have my winch mounted later this spring so something around 100 amps would be nice to have.

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

78 amper would be stock with A/C, non A/C is usually only 63 amps. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif My guess is that the 105 is the alt that I put in mine out of a commercial GM vehicle. It is basically bolt in but all I had to do was just bend the bracket a little to accomidate the slightly larger housing. The big case alt is much better because it can handle running at full power a lot. In your case good for using a winch and good in my case for having a big stereo.

Were you lucky enough to snag a rare 89'-later blazer with the optional factory banks turbo'd 6.2? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, last weekend I was leading a trail ride and got into a mudhole deeper than expected......anyway, the alternator stopped working shortly afterwards and is now toast.

What do you guys recommend as a replacement? Autozone and Napa both list one around 78 amps, and one around 105 amps, but the Autozone guy told me the 105 amp wasn't a direct bolt-in??? Does anyone know what the factory alt. was rated at ('90 Silverado model).

I'm hoping to have my winch mounted later this spring so something around 100 amps would be nice to have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I guess the diesel didn't require much?
    My 89 gas engine Van came with the 105amp stock.
    You do have the serpentine setup right?
    Anyway if you go to Kragen I got the modified Cadilac alt and it cranks out 125amp. The housing is also gun drilled for extra cooling because of the extra output.
    SO far I love it. It's the same case as mine but with much higher output.
    Do you know if you have the 4 line plug or the 2 line?
    the former is the CS144 and should be 105amp, it was offered from 87 and up.
    The 2 line plug was the earlier one and the highest stock model was 95amps, it came in the 86 Safari and Astro Vans.

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The diesel really doesn't use much electric when running since you don't have any ignition system or electric fuel pumps. After the alt. died I ran it for another 2 hours straight and have since restarted it twice to move it around the driveway with no issues.....of course duel batteries help.

I think I'll pull it off tonight and take a look at it a little closer. The '88-'91 K5s were bad about having odd parts because it was the transition years for the new style trucks. My 6.2 has a factory 3 v-belt setup (1 for alt., 1 for p/s, 1 for a/c).

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The diesel really doesn't use much electric when running since you don't have any ignition system or electric fuel pumps. After the alt. died I ran it for another 2 hours straight and have since restarted it twice to move it around the driveway with no issues.....of course duel batteries help.

I think I'll pull it off tonight and take a look at it a little closer. The '88-'91 K5s were bad about having odd parts because it was the transition years for the new style trucks. My 6.2 has a factory 3 v-belt setup (1 for alt., 1 for p/s, 1 for a/c).

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool then you should have the SI-12 I think that is the code for it, it's what I have now.
    A lot of the early Cadilacs used those setup but they came at higher amp because they started fuel injection and had elevtric fuel pumps.
    That's why I always ask for a cadilac alt not a blazer.
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif