Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which amp for me?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by evil bastard, Jul 3, 2000.

1. evil bastard

evil bastard Registered Member

i have 2 10's (some generic crap, i plan on getting decent ones) and 2 6x9 pinoeer 80 w speakers. can yall give me a ballpark estimate of how much power i need from an amp and what kind do you recommend? i have an alpine 7840 cd deck(powerful in itself)

2. jim82

jim82 Registered Member

For the 6x9's the head unit might be all right, but the amp in the deck is not equivalent to a mofset amp, and the sound quality is not as good. A seperate amp for the 6x9's would sound best. When it comes to pushing the subs, you get what you pay for. cheap amps have high watt ratings, but that is at totally distorted levels. Check the subs to find out what they are rated for, and then get an amp with a repuatable name - alpine, sony, rockford etc. - wattage is a hard call, but two tens should be around 100 - ball park. Also a sealed box can handle much more wattage than a ported box.

3. Adrock

Adrock 1/2 ton status

if you want a good amp that will push your speakers nicely and wont break the bank, but arent looking for a competition winner. check out radio shack. they have Optimus brand amps, which are esentially pioneer because they optimus amps are made at the pioneer facility, dont get me wrong, these arent pioneer, but they will make 2 10s pound. I am using one to power 2 kenwood 10s in my daily driver and that amp gets the job done quite nicely. the specs for the amp I think are 100x2, or 200x1 bridged, but I am running the 2 subs in parallell so it is actully pushing about 400x1. those numbers may not be corect, it may be less, but sure still does pound. thats about it.

Adam
    a.k.a. Adrock
    88 Chevy Blazer FI 383
    Aint nothin' like the sound of Chevy Thunder