Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which and where to buy body bushings.

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazin72, Jul 29, 2001.

1. blazin72

blazin72 1/2 ton status

I am in desperate need of some bushing and was wondering where to buy them and which ones the poly or the rubber stock ones.
    Also how much time are we looking to replace them.
    My bolts look like tooth picks and the rubbers are completely gone.
    Need help
    Thanks
    Blazin72

Blazin 72

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I remember someone reccomended the energy polyurathane body mount bushings, but donn't get the red ones cause they'll squeek like hell. Get the black ones because they're impregnated with graphite (No Squeak).
    Anyone know where to get these?

3. Murph

Murph Registered Member

There are positives and negatives with the poly body mounts. Poly makes for a less comfortable ride - you can feel more vibration - but will last longer and provide better performance. I went with the poly by Energy Supsension poly and definitely do not feel squishy in corners. You can get the Energy Suspension through Summit for just under $90 (ENS-3-4110). JC Whitney also has some by Prothane for about $80 (71DK1807A). I am not familiar with Prothane. I believe that Chevy Duty, LMC, etc have the rubber bushings, but they are more spendy ($160). They may be better for a daily driver. Depends on your goals. Also, bolt sizes are listed in a previous post not too far back.

As for the time required, I followed the advice received on Wulf's old site and jacked up one side of my truck at a time. A grinder helps since GM welded the bolts to the bed/floor. I also used a 2 lb sledge with a sacrificial screw driver to pound on the old rusted bolts. It took me about a full day to do both sides. It was well worth it, though. Make sure that you keep the shims under the floor boards. I made sure that I did it with my top on since I was affecting the doors, etc. It took a little work to get my doors to shut again - passenger door didn't shut well before, so it is a big improvement there as well. Good Luck!

4. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i just installed mine, they are the black ones. got them from chevy duty. The ride is much better, not sure if it was the 2" lift or the actual bushings. one thing for sure it's better than riding with no bushings. not sure how the rubber ones ride like since mine were gone when i bought it. drove 3yrs like that.

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer

5. Dan71gmc

Dan71gmc Registered Member

I installed the rubber ones on my72 2wd, am totally happy and can't believe the difference. Heard pros and cons of rubber and poly, glad I went the rubber from Chevy Duty. Not that expensive either.

6. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

I know what you mean. I drove mine with no bushings for about a year, then I got the polly ones from ORD along with the 1" body lift and it made a big difference. [​IMG]

See Ya,
    Keith

[​IMG] <font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green> [​IMG]