Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which Antenna would be better?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Anteak, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Anteak

Anteak 1/2 ton status

If you were to compare the same length antennas, which would give you better reception.
    Fiberglass or steel.

I'm currently using a borrowed 2' fiberglass mounted to the rear driver's side panel. I need to replace it and was looking at something between 2' and 4'. I know you're going to say a 102" whip will be better, but I don't want to go over 4'. The 2' currently is flush with the top that doesn't get in the way of anything.

P.S. There already is a spring mounted to the connection.

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

well between fiberglass and steel there really is no noticable difference since a fiberglass antenna has a wire in the middle of it. Stationary it would be basically the same. Depending on length of antenna the fiberglass antenna *could* perform better at highway speeds since it wouldn't lay over as much from wind resistance.

The 2' antenna really isn't very good. If it works for you then go with it. Just remember that the longer the better. Not to mention with it being even with the top that means a big chunk of signal is getting blocked by the vehicle. For better results you should go with at least a 4' antenna.

But like I said, if you are happy with what you have then why change it. If you want something that will work better without going overboard then get a 4' antenna.

3. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

If you wanna run a short antenna and go with fiberglass, get one that is wrapped heavily with the wire. If you go with a steel, get one that has a coil in the center. Also the antenna needs to be at least an inch higher then your cab anything less can cause interference with reception. Anything more is a waste.

4. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

It's been said in many places and I tend to agree with the fact that at least 2/3 of the antenna needs to be above the cab for absolute best results, and mounting it anyplace other than dead center will cause some directional tendencies at longer distances... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Although for trail use or relatively close range stuff about any way you can situate it will probably be sufficient...

5. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Have to agree with the dead center mounting, but absolutely disagree with the 2/3 above the cab.