Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which Art Carr did you get your 700 from???

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by yunit, Mar 29, 2002.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I found 2 website's for Art Carr transmissions. One in Texas and one in California. Which one did you get your 700 from?

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Just something cool I've seen for the Art Carr shifters. (I'm not sure if this has been covered before)

The shifter has a zig-fag gate pettern, at least the ones I saw did. So, with the stock A.C. shifter, a guy would have to move the shifter over and up, than over and up again to get from drive to reverse.

These guys cut the tang, so it was a direct throw, fom drive to reverse and back. Made it a easy flick of the shifter to back-down for a better line.

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I don't know the full story of the Art Carr companies but from what I understand Art started the one in Reno (now also in abiline) then after he sold it started the one in Huntington beach CA. Don't know about the circumstances, each is not happy with the other companies existance.
    My trans came from the guys in Reno. I have not been happy with the trans or the company. I'm not going into details until I give them another chance to make good on it. I don't plan to go into more detail on a public forum.

I've been really after a reverse valve body so that reverse and 1st are close. I could shave down the gates a bit and shave a piece of a second off my 1st to reverse time. Sometimes that would be nice to have. But, the reason I got the shifter to start with is for the positive shifting and solid stops. I've overshifted before and ended up in gears I didn't want (like reverse). So I'm keeping the stops for now.

4. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you need a shifter like mine. Real easy to go from forward to reverse. Of course, the dang rod linkage makes it pop into N all the time from 4th. I think I may have an idear to fix it, though. Somebody told me that the newer trucks used a cable linkage from the column to the trans, if its true, I'm gonna try to retrofit one. Otherwise I'll have to Jerry-rig one out of something else.

Pete