Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which ball joints to buy

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79Silv4x4, Dec 17, 2002.

1. 79Silv4x4

79Silv4x4 Registered Member

About to replace the ball joints in my '79 K10 with 10 bolt front end and I have a choice between Moog and Perfect Circle (which I think is made by Dana) ball joints.

moog is about twice the price--money really isn't the object if they are worth the extra. What should I buy?

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

IMO save your cash. All you are paying for is the name. I have the "store" (NAPA) brand, w/ no probs.

John

3. lazerus

lazerus Registered Member

sorry I cant answer your question--I just wanted to jump in here and say i have the same question? moog or store brand (oreilly)?

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I use the Moog stuff. They come with all the little extras (ie. the ball-joints I bought for my D60front came with regualr and off-center sleeves). I used a set of "silver brand" tie-rod ends once, and ended up replacing them 10000mi later when one started to show bad signs of wear.
    I've used Moog ball-joints, tie-rod ends, idler arms on all my cars/trucks since without problem.
    IMHO, why take a chance with it. BTW, Moog is just a brand name of Federal Mogul. (Other Federal Mogul names include - Wagner, Fel-pro, Champion, Sealed-power, National, ANCO)

BlazerMan

5. 79Silv4x4

Yeah, I know Moog is good stuff too and that's probably what I will buy but since Perfect Circle is made by Dana I thought I might go that way instead--just checking other opinions.

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Whatever you decide, don't buy cheap ones. Those will be the first problems you have after installing them.

Here in town, I only have access to Moog parts. Never had a problem with anything labeled "Moog" and will continue to buy them.

7. 79Silv4x4

Well, just got back from the parts store and they were out of the Moog lower ball joints so I went with PerfectCircle upper and lower.