Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which Blazer, '86-'91?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by horsepit, Dec 16, 2001.

1. horsepit

horsepit Registered Member

Which Blazer, \'86-\'91?

I'm looking to buy a full size Blazer to use mostly on the street, towing my trailer occasionally and minor mud wamping on the ranch. What year do you recommend between the '86 and '91. Does the '87 injection make a big difference? When did the Blazer go to an independant front end? Is it better? I'm looking at a 6" lift with 35s. Since it won't be for serious off roading should I use one of those soft suspensions? Thanks for your help

Insearch of a Blazer.

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Re: Which Blazer, \'86-\'91?

87-91 would be your best bet for FI. I have an 86 and the carb works awsome, and can go on steep angles with no problem. I will be going to FI when I go 1 ton and 38s. If you lift it 6"s use tuff country, it will give you a real soft ride. As for 35s go with Goodyear MTRs. Independant front suspension sucks. They went to IFS in 92.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I say the '91....... The automatic trany in the '91 is better.......EFI is the way to g, better gas milage and if you want to do any hills

C'moe

Kill Roy was here!

4. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Go with the 88's and up... Ultra reliable.. the throttle body fuel injection is awesome.. and also very reliable..
    As for fuel injection making a difference.. oh yeah.. it makes a huge difference in day to day driving.
    Now... Don't use the word IFS here.. to everyone on the forum.. Blazer's and Jimmies died after 1991.. after that.. GM revamped all their trucks.. why? who know's..
    Stay away from IFS if you're going to use the truck off-road and mud romping.. IFS is very sensitive to mud being packed in it.
    Hope this helps..
    I own a 83 Blazer, 1989 Blazer and my wife drives a 99 Tahoe with IFS.. great for hauling.. but wouldn't off-road the Tahoe..

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. www.rocko.rockcrawler.com

5. horsepit

Wow thanks for the quick responces.
    Okay DesertDueler, you like your '86 carb but your going to FI so I'm guesing I should go with the '87 or newer. The Tuff Country sound's good for the ride, I assume I should go with the rear springs to eliminate any sagging stock one and blocks. Any shock recommendations?
    rocko why '88 over the '87? They both are FI right.
    C'moe I'll look for the '91 for the tranny if the deal is right.
    Okay I now knoe IFS sucks. I thought they went with it in '89. Is that only on truck? The suspension kits seem to be a different price after that.
    Thanks again.

Insearch of a Blazer.

6. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

87 was the first year for FI... So.. by 88 any bug's if any were worked out..
    And you're right.. GM went to IFS only for the pickup's in 89.. Blazers/ Jimmies stayed solid axle til 91..

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. www.rocko.rockcrawler.com

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

What kind of towing are you planning on? Lifts and soft suspensions combined with the short wheelbase is a recipe for a miserable towing experience. Good luck trying to find a drop hitch too...a K5 with 6" of lift and 35's is fairly tall.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

8. DesertDueler

88 gives you the serpintine belt setup. As for the carb I like it for what I have done so far, and is much easier to do modifications on the truck since you dont need a new chip everytime you change cams and heads etc. I just am turning it into a rock buggy and need injection for the 4 foot water falls I climb. Carbs dont like vertical angles, but the stock q-jet can go pretty far before they stall.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

9. Haulgas

Haulgas 1/2 ton status

I have a 87 and l Love It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's F.I. and with over 200.000
    have not had any major problems Just make sure you carry a extra fuel pump and module.

IT'S NOT JUST A J**P THING AND I DO UNDERSTAND

10. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

so what you guys are saying is that my 88 has a live axle, and my cousins 95 is an IFS?

16, 88 jimmy, kearning, but still need help

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Sorry to digress, but:
    <blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

my wife drives a 99 Tahoe

<hr></blockquote> Did I miss something along the way? Last I knew, rockosangel was your girlfriend. Did we miss the ceremony? [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

12. DesertDueler

Thats correct. K5s and Suburbans stayed solid front axle until 91, and the pickup trucks execpt 1 tons were unitl 87.

13. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

You must be asleep at the wheel. Rocko got married a few weeks ago and if you look on his web page he has some pics from it.[​IMG]

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

14. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

I've had my '91 for almost 2 years now, and I love it the most of the K5's I've had. Got almost 180,000 miles without a motor or tranny rebuild. It averages 15 or so mpg around town, and has yet to let me down when on or off-road.

15. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

what is the term for the rear suspension then?

16, 88 jimmy, kearning, but still need help

16. DesertDueler

lve axle, or in laymans terms solid rear axle.

17. horsepit

Good point. I have a 28 ft trailer, about 5,000 lbs and my daughter has a horse (trailer). With levelers and stabilizers, I thought the soft ride would be okay. Anyone using them?

Insearch of a Blazer.

18. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I'm kinda thinking that a lifted K5 pulling a 28ft trailer is a recipe for a case of the proverbial "tail wagging the dog" syndrome. I seem to recall that when my uncle towed his boat (27ft boat, probably close to 30ft on the trailer) to the Pocono mountains (about a 2hr ride) a bunch of years back, he commented at length about how much the trailer pushed him around in his '79 K10 shortbed on 38's.
    Just my 2 cents on the towing issue...

Ken

<font color=blue>America--Land of the Free, Home of the Brave<font color=black>

19. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Get a Suburban if you're going to tow. I used to tow with my K5, it doesn't even compare with my Sub. That's .02 from me.

<font color=red>Sure your Durango can go any place I can go, (if I hook a strap to it).</font color=red>

20. horsepit

Just sold a Suburban. Your right, I barely knew the trailer was back there with the Burb. The problem was I had to drive around the big tank all year so I could tw 4-6 times a year. Thought a Blazer would be funner to drive the rest of the time. I'm a pretty good driver with a trailer. I don't mind it being a little tougher, just not dangerous or beyond it's ability. My sister use to tow her 24 foot tavel trailer with an old S-10, I would think a Blazer would do a lot better. But it sounds like a few of you guys are doubtfull.

Insearch of a Blazer.