Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which Blazer to buy?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Andy, Jun 20, 2000.

1. Andy

Andy Newbie

I am looking for a post 73 Blazer and would like some opinions on which year/ model would be the best for my needs? I am planning on taking the
    truck to Costa Rica so it will encounter alot of mud/mountains/miles. I need something reliable with as little computer and emissions crap as possible
    so it will be easy to work on.What are the best trannys and axles to look for? How about 4speeds? I don't see too many? Any locked rears from the
    factory. I need power and traction, Any advice would be appreciated. Andy

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

1972 K5/Blazer 350/Sm465 4speed, 205Xfer case, Dana44 Front, GM12 bolt rear, Full convertable so you can didtch the hard top and get a soft top and just roll up the sides so you will have a safari looking rig [​IMG] Ohhh Yaaaaa.
    Factory lockers are junk for a few hundred bucks you can have one installed that is much more reliable.
    Good Luck

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I'm running a 1979 with no emissions or computer stuff in Guatemala, Central America. Let me tell you, it's the perfect vehicle for these countries. Last week I bent a wheel and had to replace the bearings on my 2wd Toyota truck after hitting a hole in the pavement. I just wish I was driving my Blazer at that time. Last October we took a trip to Honduras in my mom's Caravan. Big mistake!! That country was devastated by a hurricane in 1998 and many bridges and roads are still in bad shape. Everyone agreed that we should have taken the Blazer.

I don't even have lockers or limited slips and have never got stuck. For lots of power, make sure your gear ratio is correct for the tires you have. I've seen many Blazers with big tires and numerically low gear ratios, and they just complain that their Blazers lack power. For traction, you may want to consider a locker or even chains for your tires.

If you're driving your way to Costa Rica, make sure you pay me a visit 'cause I'm on your way! Check out the link to see the specs of my Blazer.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

4. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Cross country across Mexico??? Isn't that a little risky?

behemoth K5