Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which Blazer to Buy?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by a2b, Dec 3, 2002.

1. a2b

a2b Registered Member

hello all!
    so i have a s-10 and hang out at the forums on zr2.com and crewcab.2ya.com. some friends on those forums told me to come here cuz i want to get a blazer to off road in instead of my s-10. i have found lots of info. i was hopeing somebody could help steer me in the right direction on what to look for and what to look out for when buying a blazer.
    here is what i want to be able to do: lockers front and back, 35's, streetable, Fuel Injected, no central computer crap, and dual transfer case set up.
    so is there a blazer that i can buy that i dont have to swap axels, or transfer case, or motor? info like that would be major helpful? is there a year that they didnt come with removable tops? really dont care what year, personally i like the look of the 69-72. thanks for your info /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

your best bet is to start searching, all of the info you want is here just spend some time looking and youll know more than everything you want to

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

ITs gunna be hard to find a truck already built with all that stuff... unless you got big buck. Closest stock vehicle youd get is a CUCV blazer with 1 ton drivetrain, and low gears... and besides.. the motto on this site is "built, not bought." =)
    Only yr blazer with no removable hard top is 92.
    Up to 91 is removable... and you want a 88-91 for the good looking front grille

4. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

if i were you i would get the 88-91 blazers cuss they come with fuel injection. thats prolly yer best bet since you want fuel injection. you can swap axles and that is fairly easy. since you want 35's only i'd say go get a 14 bolt and a d44 with 4.10s. that should be ok for a while but you would want to regear later on. but i would go look for an 88-91 blazer like i said. but then again i'm not the smartest on this site so maybe someone else could help ya out too. later.

jacob

5. a2b

a2b Registered Member

so i know i am not going to find a blazer with all that on it. but thats what i want to do to it (refereing to first post).
    you mentointed swaping axels, is there a certain year and model of blazer that has strong enough axels so i dont have to swap? that i could get lockers and 35's on?
    you mentioned the 88 to 92 blazer for the fuel injection? is there anyting about those balzers that suck? any reason to buy an older one?

6. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

fuel injected blazers started in 87, the cucv blazers do not have one ton drivetrain, they have the 10 bolt axles with 3.08 gears i believe, all blazers will come with the 1/2 ton axles, the only way to get heavier duty axles is to do it yourself, some people have run the stock axles with 35's and lockers, depends on your driving style, the only reason to buy a older one is like anything else, newer is more money /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'd look for an 89-91 K5. They started the spiffy looking grille's in '89. EFI is 87 and up, pre-'83 I think you have a little more axle strength than newer 10-bolts by way of possible stock front D44's and rear 12-bolts (I could be wrong on that, I can't quite remember).
    If you want EFI, you need a computer. How dependant the rest of the truck is on the computer is generally determined by year, later trucks will have a little more computer control than earlier ('88-'87) EFI trucks.
    You'll need a little lift for 35's, too.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Doing an axle swap is fairly cheap if you go with the 3/4 Ton axles, I bought a pair (14 Bolt FF rear, and Dana 44 front) for $250.00 Swappinng them in is nothing but turning some wrenches, it's a strait bolt in, so don't be afraid to swap axles. Also, the 3/4 Ton axles will have the more desirable gears for 35" tires. A Detroit locker for the 14 Bolt FF is only around $300.00, so that's another point in favor of the 3/4 Toners.

9. a2b

a2b Registered Member

250 for axels, wow good deal.
    so now that i know axel swap cant be avoided.
    here is ? i had an 89 full size truck. it had major electrical problems, even had a recal on some of its circuit boards or what not. is there any year of the 87-92 that is known for trouble?

also, i like the look of just the roll bar sticking up in the cab. but i only have found 1st generation blazers to have this set up. do any of the 2nd generation blazer's top come completely off so it looks like a heep and not a truck?

10. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    so it looks like a heep and not a truck?

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

1st gen 69 to 72, second gen 73 to 91. full tops 69 to 75, half tops are 76 to 91. in 73 the Blazer front clip was changed, so it's different then the 69 to 72. The 73 on up front clip stayed the same through the rest of the 70's. I'm sure someone else on this site knows when it changed again. You might want to look at http://coloradok5.com/specs.shtml /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

front clip changed again in 81, in 80 you could order a square headlight grill, that was different than the 81 and later grills, 81 and 82 have turn signals in the bumper, 89 sheetmetal is the same, but the grill changed again to look like the 88 and later pickups with the two small headlights side by side instead of on top of each other, you could also get just one single headlight on the 81 thru 91 models that were not as optioned out /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

you MAY...just have to get a little down and dirty and actually work on one to get it like that!! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

14. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

89-91 has the nice looking front grille/lights. 92 started a completely new body style and IFS (I THINK)

I thought the Military blazers had 14bols and 4.10's?? Ah I've been living a lie! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

best bet is to swap to 14bolt FF rear end and a 8lug dana 44 upfront with a 6" lift and 35" tires. That would make it teail capable whil keeping streetability.

Try and get manual transmission! They are great! Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. a2b

a2b Registered Member

wow, thanks for all the info.
    so it looks like i want a 69-75 body style so the whole roof comes off. i like the 1 gen so i will try to get one of those but i am not picky. and i definetly want a manual tranny. and i believe the early 70's had dana 44's so i just need to put a 14FF and 6" lift and 35's with a detriot
    so,
    what lockers are yall using in the front?
    and
    how is the transfer case in these rigs? what ratio is it? is there an easy swap for another?

16. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

the full roof is very cool! If you go with the earlier trucks, pre 75, the dana 44 used had small u-joints in the axel shafts. I would still swap to later 3/4 ton axels. detroit locker rear and front. i would go with the later 10 front axel. They are a little stronger than the d44. I would also consider a fuel injection swap. biggray71 put a T.P.I. system on his truck. looks awesome.

17. a2b

a2b Registered Member

yeah i just read about the small joints on the d44 in 4wp magazine this month. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

18. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

A lot of confusing replies on this post so far... I see you are leaning towards the 69-75 for the full convertable.

SO that means FI swap on a stock 350 V8 motor is an option. Do a search and you can find a lot of info on this site about this.

Swap to later 3/4 ton axles to get matching gear ratios and 8 lug axles at the same time and you will save a lot of time and money over doing an 8 lug conversion on the original front axle. The Dana 44 front axle is stronger than a 10 bolt but not by much.

4 spd transmissions are more likely to be found in 1st gen (69-72) from the factory but you can always swap the parts out of a similar year pickup very easily.

NP-205 T-case seams to be the most desirable as it is a part time gear driven T-case with close to 2:1 low range. The NP-203 full time case is another common one found in the early 70's. Mid 80's went to the NP-208 with a better 2.6:1 low gear but the downside is the slip yoke tailshaft.

There is a kit available from ORD (Offroad Design) to combine the range box of a NP203 and a complete NP205 to double your T-case low range. It would give you 2:1 and 4:1 low ranges.

Also look in the FOR Sale section of this site and you can find many blazers already built for offroad up for sale.

19. a2b

a2b Registered Member

thanks kennyw for the info.
    now i have a transfer case plan.
    so the 205 came in first generation, so thats what i will shoot for. then buy a 203 and kit for the dual set up.
    then find a 3/4 ton pickup and swap axels since they bolt up directly (right?)
    and FI swap on the 250 and i am all good
    hopefully wont have to do a manual tranny swap, but if i find a good deal, it wont stop me.
    well, i have learned alot in just 2 days about blazers, and i knew nothing at the start of this thread. thanks for are your help. if there is any more info that will help me in choosing my blazer, let me know. thanks!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif