Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which Brake Master Cyl. ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by crazy427, Feb 12, 2005.

1. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

On a 89 k5 silverado Im Running my stock master cyl. I have stock brakes on my 10 bolt up front and in running a 14bff in the rear. My brakes master is goin so i wanted to upgrade but im not sure which 1 i should go with or what brand. i called the part store and they list 3 different ones for the different gvw of chevy trucks. Has anyone else done a master upgrade that could point me in the right direction.

thanks

2. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

joe, whats the reason for upgrading. i had to get a new one caus ei blew mine out bleeding the brakes, and i went with the stock master and they work awesome with the disc swap. i just upgraded the prop valve

3. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

Im just curious,My truck was stopping fine for the past few months. i noticed a big improvment when i swapped in the 14bolt becuase of the larger brakes. But now that it is goin i figured a truck that has larger brakes must have a larger master cylinder to go with it to compensate for the extra pressure they are goin to be put under.3 are listed but the part store cant tell me the exact difference between them: if the bore size is different, if the mounting is different or if they just hold more fluid. so i want to see if anyone else did a swap like this , if they ran into any problems or it wast worth the effort to try and make it work.( the real reason is i like to play and cuase myself headaches...lol)

4. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

i see. i remember reading a bunch on it when i did a search, but now i cant find it again. ill let you know if i do.

and let me know what you end up doing

5. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

Thats cool, Hey how is your monster coming along?

6. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

im driving! i didnt realoze for some reason i had to have the caddy caliper e brakes adjuste before they would work right. i had a soft pedal because they were out of whack. today im finishing another lift with my buddies new blazer, and then hes gonna look at my kick down cable. seems to be a little rough. after that, i need to put a tach in to see what im running at.

oh, then i need to :hack: some more. a couple of times when turning and hitting a bump, the tires hit in the front

7. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

How do ya adjust calipers? I thought they would be self adjusting.

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

some masters will have a bigger back side and wont fit in the smaller booster and that needs to be checked first. 1/2 ton unit with adj porp valve should be o.k.

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

When I installed my 3/4ton axles under my burb with the rear disks, I upgraded the master to a 3/4ton master of the same vintage.

10. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

11. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

was there any difference in size or perfomance?

12. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Size wise, it bolts right on, the rear brakes has a bigger res. on the m/c. Performance wish, I felt a little bit better stopping power.