Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which cam for the Tow rig

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TheLakeRat, Jan 3, 2003.

1. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

You guys make fun of me for driving the Big Bird Yellow Heep. But even I trust a Chevy to get back and forth from long trips.
    I'm going to freshen up my 82 K30 and am wanting opinions on Which Roller cam to get.
    It's not a hotrod, just a tow vehicle. I want a good Idle but lots of Torque to help me pull those hill in New Mexico and Colorado when i go to See Steve and Show him how to really Wheel. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

2. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Which year and size engine are you running? /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Helps to know all the facts when giving advice. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. TheLakeRat

In my best Homer Simson Voice- DOOH!!

Sorry about that. it's an 82 K30 w/454. All factory with A/C and Hydroboost brakes.

4. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Comp cams 268H is whats in my budies crewcab and it works real good. Uses it to haul his car trailer and it doesnt ned to downshift on the hills. Pulls real good. He has 4.10's.

5. Sparky87k5

Comp Cam's 268 isn't a roller cam but is a good choice, although a higher level of torque and fuel economy is available in roller cam designs. Both Crane and Comp Cam have some good choices. GM has some very good ones in their latest hipo catalog or on eBay.

A GM cam made by Crane is available on eBay that has great torque. GM Billet Steel Hydraulic Roller Cam manufactured by Crane Cams for GM (.483 Lift with 1.7 rocker (.511 with 1.8 rocker)..224 duration @ .050 and 115° Lobe Center). Extremely Broad and strong Torque Band..from 1500 on up to 4500 RPM.. Makes Peak torque between 1800 and 2500 RPM.

I’ve been considering using one for some time now as it appears I could gain torque and move the peak torque down lower in the RPM range, both ideal for towing. I presently am running a GM marine grind of .500 lift and 218/228 duration @.050 lift. Not bad for torque but believe a roller would be lots better. The "marine" cam specs are the same as Edelbrocks BBC Performer cam, so must be something to them. Towing is a whole new world when building an engine, compression, timing (cam & ignition), carb tuning just to name a few. Remember to keep compression on the low side as most good towing cams will increase cylinder pressures to a higher level then a cam of longer duration in the RPM range used for towing. In a BBC, I would stay at 8.5 - 9.0 and cam to build low end torque and cylinder pressures. Improves fuel economy as well.

6. KAS

KAS 1/2 ton status

Hey Matt....are you gonna help Steve tear up his K5 like you & Billy Ray helped Tim tear up his K5 at Upper Helldorado??!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

7. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Whoops, i forgot about that rollercam part. hehe /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

8. TheLakeRat

Thanks Sparky I found that cam on E-bay and will take a closer look at it.

9. TheLakeRat

Kas, sounds good to me. But in reality they'll probably end up using me for a test subject first. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. TheLakeRat

What am i going to do about lifters with this cam. Somebody local told me i have to buy retrofit hydro roller lifters to make it work.
    Anyone know what the scoop is?

11. Sparky87k5

Cams generally sell for about $80-100 and lifters available as well on eBay for about $200 for gen IV BB's. Believe you have to also change pushrods and they're available as well on eBay.

12. motorheadnelson

motorheadnelson Registered Member

Careful of that e-bay stuff. I bought some 3/8 pushrods and guideplates from some clown there. It was obvious the pushrods were questionable when trying to adjust the valves, so I used a different set, but how can you screw up guideplates? They all broke in less than 500 miles, making me think the cam wiped. I was a little more than PO'ed when I pulled the rocker covers and saw the guideplates in pieces and the rockers pushing on the retainers. Spent the money I should have on the right stuff, Comp guideplates and hi-tech pushrods. It's a flat tappet hydraulic with 120-310 spring pressure. Crap parts. Just lucky the valves didn't drop.