Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which cam to run?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, May 19, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

Ok, I don't really know a great deal about cams, but I know the higher lift and greater duration the rougher idle and more top end. I run mostly mud, so i'm not looking to bottom end power. I the most power i can get where i can still idle below 2000- even if it stalls out at first and cuts off before it warms up, like eal dragsters. what should i get? thanks,
    red

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    where i can still idle below 2000- even if it stalls out at first and cuts off before it warms up, like eal dragsters. what should i get? thanks,
    red

[/ QUOTE ]
    you buildin a dragster mudder? lol lol

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

We need alot more info before we can start to answer that. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Comp Cams 268xe

Summit part number: CCA-12-242-2

Mild/rough idle, hella strong mid-range

5. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

sorry my class ended as i was wrinting that post and i just entered it.

I'm running a GM goodwrench 250hp 350. i'll be adding some larger headers and 3" pipes within the year and it has a rochchester 670 and an offenhausen dual plane intake manifold. i want this thing to sound like a dragster at top end!! but then of course i'd rather have more power. . . but i was thinking more alond the lines of a 292/296 cam with 510lift, which is the one in jegs that says "rough idle- anything larger will require high compression pistons" or something to that effect.

6. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Go to Comp Cams website, take an hour and fill out that card. Be honest, and a bit conservative, then buy whatever they tell you.

We probably won't be able to get enough information from you to 'really' make that call.

If you don't like Comp Cams, then just do the same with your favorite Grinder.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif