Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which carb + advice

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by spincast375, Nov 2, 2005.

?

Which is better for wheelin/speed

1. Holley Truck Avenger

21 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. Edelbrock AVS Thunder Series

16 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. Rebuild my crappy Quadrajet

29 vote(s)
    40.3%
  4. or not

6 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. spincast375

spincast375 1/2 ton status

holley or edelbrock

holley truck avenger or edelbrock AVS Thunder Series

at first i liked holley but iv heard that if you mash it, it stutters before takeoff. one of my friends has a edelbrock on his chrysler 360 and he cant say enough about it. now im running a 454 in my 84 jimmy. should i go with the 800cfm edlelbrock or what...

i have a rochester q-jet that is in pretty bad shape, when i bought the truck i think the guy had a good carb on but took it off and put this one on. many of the ports are plugged and the choke doesnt work. but qjets are good. should i go for the rebuild?

another plus is i like the way an edelbrock looks compared to a holley or my qjet and i think it would look good with my engine... but in the end looks are irrevelant

so, holley, edelbrock, or rebuild.

tks for any advice

jake

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I say either rebuild or find another Q-jet.

3. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

Quadrajet is the way to go..

4. one ton burb

one ton burb 1/2 ton status

I herd that the edelbrock thunder series avs with the off road kit is supose to work preaty good but as much as i hate the quadrajet i would have to say it is the best off road carb i know of

5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I went truck avenger.. I have one now... just need to figure out the hesitation part it has.. It really doesnt bother me as the deadspot isnt noticed cuz of the WOT that I am always using... :haha:

6. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Kinda depends on what your situation is.

I ultimately went with the Holley because for me they are easier to tune, and I understand them better. That's in comparison to the qjet.

There are some things to know about the Truck Avenger. The biggest thing is to make sure you have the newest version. On the air horn the number should read 90670-2. I just sent in my older version -1 to be replaced with the -2 which I received last week but I haven't had a chance to road test.

With the -1 I was having the hesitation you speak of in you first post. I tried to tune it out, but couldn't. I contacted Holley and they said to send in my -1 and they would send me a newer -2. Apparently the older carbs just have a flaw.

I suspect that it will still require some fine tuning, it is a Holley after all. I jetted down for altitude already. I also went ahead and swapped in a larger accelerator pump discharge nozzle. I'm hoping that will get it running good.

If you look to buy a used Truck Avenger on something like ebay, try to find one that has the list number 90670-2 on the airhorn. The other big outward difference I noticed is that the fuel bowls have large embossed letters reading "Holley Since 1903". Expect to spend around $250-$280.

I guess you could buy the -1 and see if Holley would swap them out like they did for me.

The Truck Avenger worked out good for me because I bought it used from a member here for $250. Then I ended up with a brand new one from Holley for the cost of shipping it to them. I was impressed that they did that without hasselling me. I sent it in on a Tuesday afternoon, and had the new one by the following Wednesday. Heck I didn't even have the original box!

Even with the issues I had on the first Truck Avenger, it still performed great on the trail.

I will say that if you are going to buy a new Holley, you may want to look at getting a qjet from SMI Carburetor instead. They build the carburetor specifically for your vehicle.

I just had a bad experience rebuilding 2 qjets and they didn't work out for me. Although on another truck I rebuilt the qjet and it worked great.

7. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

I really like the edelbrock carbs. They are very easy to tune and work on. If you want to take it right out of the box and run it you can. It will be very close to perfect right out of the box. The off road series carbs work very well off road but not as good as the old quad.

8. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you need to tune your accelerator pump.

9. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

How do you tune the accelerator pump? I still have a slight hesitation.

10. mrk5

Make sure that as soon as you move the throttle, fuel shoots out of the discharge nozzles. If not you need to adjust the nut out on the linkage.

You can also look at trying different accelerator pump cams. You can get a kit with a variety of different profiles.

Also try a larger discharge nozzle. The factory setup is .028, so you should jump to at least .031, anything less is a waste of time according to Holley.

But I'm telling ya, if it's a -1 (as referenced in my post above) you are probably wasting your time because I tried all that to no avail.

11. 79chevyk10

yup make sure you have a -2, the -1 are junk. Like stated above, try changing out your accel pump cam. Try a blue on, that seems to be good for 350 motors. It all depends are the altitude you are at. I'm at sea level so my tuning is different than someone at 7000ft. All motors are different, search the internet for "holley carb turning" and you will get a wealth of knowledge.

12. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

its a 2 I am sure of that. I had a problem with a 2 this is my second one. Holley has been great.

13. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Rebuild that Q-jet! Or just buy a rebuilt unit from parts store. I put a rebuilt q-jet on my truck and it works better than I ever thought a carb could work. Me and a few buddys were wheelin the other day... one guy had a holley on his sweet '72 and was flooding and stalling on every little angle he hit. I flopped my truck a few months ago and it started while on it's side... nuff said.

14. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

That's not enough said at all. I'm sure if he just had a "holley", then he probably had problems. Especially since you didn't specify that it was a TA, it was probably a double pumper or something like that - and yeah, those suck at angles.

The truck avenger was a complete redesign from holley, and isn't plagued by the problems of their normal carbs. Since it's a brand new animal, they had some bugs in the beginning. No surprise there. Holley is making good on it though, like no other company I've ever seen. Their customer service is top notch, they're sending me a new -2 free of charge this week.

Yes, Q-Jets are great offroad for a stock carb, but not as good as the TA. And for most people, Q-Jets are a lot harder to work on, holleys are simple. The second version has the transfer slots relocated and the idle feed restrictor is modified, which completely changes its behavior. Just be sure you don't hold a grudge against the -2 truck avenger for the things that the -1 version and all holleys before it were.

15. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Have you checked out your ignition system? Vacuum and mechanical advances can cause a lot of problems that would make it seem like its a carb issue.

16. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

:waytogo:
    Agreed. I have no idea which Holley he had, but it definately wasn't a truck avenger. You are right that holley has done a phenominal job of fixing their bad TA's. All things the same, I would buy a truck avenger just based on Holleys service. I put a 750 w/vacs on my 425 oldsmobile. It ran incredible. I do have my doubts about the TA starting while at a 90* angle. When you get your -2 carb, flop it so we can find out just how good it is. :thumb:

17. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I don't know about flopping it, :confused: but I can see how the rest goes. I guess flopping it wouldn't be too bad, as long as I don't do it on my good side. :eek1:

18. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

how about the edelbrock q-jet. ive heard some good stuff about them. just thought i'd throw that out for others thoughts

19. mrk5

Could have swore I read somewhere they are discontinuing them. :dunno:

20. 79chevyk10

Had my Holley TA at 40 degrees off camber and still ran perfect (I have a tilt-o-meter in my truck so 40 degrees is no guess.) Going to Hollister for some mud rompin. If I flop this weekend I'll report back on its performance.