Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which carb to get?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by Jonny-K5, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i cant decide what carb to get for my street truck. its got a 350,mild cam, performer intake. im thinking either a 600 edelbrock or 600 holley. i personally like the design of the edelbrock better. also considering a 650 double pumper. would this carb give me any more power? my buddy had one on his stock 350 and that thing hauled ass. what about mechanical vs. vacuum secondaries? im not worried about ecomony at all, i what max power.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Well it should have plenty of power and driveability with a 600 or 650 cfm carb, perhaps even 750 if you get vacuum secondaries. What trans are you running? Manuals seem easier to run mechanical secondaries on. If you have an auto I would say vacuum secondaries. Holley , Demon , or edelbrock all would be fine on a street truck. I ran a Holley 600 (0-1850) on my Chevelle Laguna , with highway gears and an th350 it was fine in my case. I would get a tuning kit with different springs and rods etc for whatever you get. It will not be exact when you bolt it on. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

tranny is a turbo 400. do i need that extra cfm from a 650? or will i get the same power with a 600?

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'd really consider the Edelbrock 600 or 650. I'd almost say run the 650. Marginal price difference and hey why not? If in doubt call Edelbrock and ask what they think. I have a Thunder AVS 650 on my 355 with RV cam, I would have gotten a 600 but they don't sell one. It was a huge gain on the "seat of the pants dyno". I ran an old beat holley 600 before this, I rebuilt it once, tuned it for days, never ran well, AT ALL, bought the Edelbrock and bam out of the box she runs like shes meant to.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

6. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i've thought about a demon carb. also the edelbrock 650 AVS. kinda pricey. im on a tight budget. i think im going to get the edelbrock 600. with a manual choke i get get it for 200$ brand new. those other carbs are at least 100$ more.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

those Demons are some nice carburaters, never heard a bad word about them, next street vehicle I build is getting one. Really want to try my hands with one. Their Road Demon series is like $300 for a nice 600 some carb I believe.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    those Demons are some nice carburaters, never heard a bad word about them, next street vehicle I build is getting one. Really want to try my hands with one. Their Road Demon series is like $300 for a nice 600 some carb I believe.

[/ QUOTE ]$339.00 for the 625cfm Road Demon. I'm planning on spending $500.00 for a 650cfm Mighty Demon.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

WHenever I build a new street motor the Mighty Demon will probably be my choice too.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    WHenever I build a new street motor the Mighty Demon will probably be my choice too.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I bought a Speed Demon for my cuda. Love it great tech. Just bought a Road Demon for the K5. You can e-mail their tech dept and they will give you a carb recommendation. In my book Demon carbs ROCK! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

12. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    DEMON CARB !!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I go with demon all the way