Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which carb works best offroad?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by short sub, Feb 13, 2005.

1. short sub

short sub Registered Member

ive got a 350 with vortec heads, comp 4x4 cam, crane gold roller rockers, edelbrock aluminum intake and currently a 670 holley street avenger. soon im either doing mpi or propane- but ive got a ride coming up this weekend and the carb i have now is horrible. it works great on flat ground but off camber, well its not the greatest. a friend of mine is running an edelbrock 1406 and it seems to be alot better then mine so give me any info please. thanks ryan

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

the consensus is usually a good running quadrajet is best offroad...

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the q jet is probably the best carb for off road, its not called the poormans fuel injection for nothing. the holley truck avenger carb is the next best, then edelbrock.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I like my Edelbrock Performer Q-jet. I have been on some steep hills without a spit of sputter.

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

if anybody tells you anything other than a qjet, ask them who their dealer is, cuz they're gettin some GOOOOOD chit from him!

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

dont use theese!

An Edelbrock performer or Carter AFB carbs arent that great on hills or at angles,or if you get the front end bouncing--I can stall both of my trucks with them just by driving up a pile of plowed snow fairly easy--neither truck did it with the stock Quadrajet,but the edelbrocks do make them more peppy than the stock carb--I only used the edelbrock and carter AFB carbs cause I had them already,and the Q-jet needed an accelerator pump and a gasket kit,so I put them on--

I liked the performance increase,but was dissapointed with the drivability in cold weather(both ice up too easy,due to the adapter/spacer blocking all the heat)and the hill climbing and tilt problems make plowing frustrating at times,when it conks out at the top of the pile,and floods,and your lucky if it starts again before the battery croaks...:blush: --I've heard their "off road" needle and seat kit doesn't help them much either...

I'd say the q-jet is the overall winner for mileage,power and driveability(factory knows best!:grin: )--other than EFI,thats the cheapest way to keep it running on uneven terrain...some 2 barrel GM carbs arent bad off road either,dont discount them entirely either,you dont really have to have a 4 bbl carb....:crazy:

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'll 2nd that the Edelbrock carbs are absolutely horrible.

I have a 100% bone stock non-rebuilt Q-jet on my truck from 1980 that runs better than my brand new Edelbrocks ever did.

So good, in fact, I've put off my EFI swap for over a year now.:grin:

8. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

My truck avenger runs a LOT better than the two q-jets I had when the truck is about to tip. It wasn't as hard to tune as a typical holley either, there have been a lot of changes.

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

then you got 2 VERY bad quadrajets, no way a Holley can even compare to a half ass running QJet.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I think it depends on the Edelbrock. From what I understand, Edel q-jets are outstanding...

j

11. TB2Blazer

TB2Blazer 1/2 ton status

My buddy has an 84 K5 and runs a Q-Jet and I have and 85 and I run a truck avenger and my truck avenger outperforms his Q-jet every time. Off-cambers, descents everything, I dunno if I just got a really good Holley but I am a firm believer in the truck avenger.

12. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

13. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I third the edelbrock perfomer carbs suck off road!

I run a holly truck advenger and it will run like crazy, the main issue is when I am bouncing around high speed, but that is normal with any carb.

for simplicity, and cost effectivness I would buy a reman quadrajet, a 400 doller holley does not tute my horn anymore:D

14. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I think he is talking about the performer series:confused:

15. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I am so glad we all get to put our unbiased inputs in....

I bought the truck avenger and it is good for me to this point... havent really angled the carb yet. I do have a problem from time to time as it runs great but after a while it spudders... i think I have the floats adjusted wrong.... :confused:

however nothing can beat fuel injection :D

hopefully I will have a 454tbi this summer and my truck avenger will be going byby.... other than that I will test out my truck avenger more and let yall know...

but still... my old q-jet was good.. never had to adjust it.. set it and forget it.... the carb ran good... so either way I dont think you will be dissappointed in your choice....

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yes, you're correct. AFB/Performer style.

A Q-jet is a Q-jet regardless of brand, all are good.

17. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Alright, now I'm a little confused here. Are we taking Rochester QJet against Edelbrock QJet? Because I have both, the Rochester is sitting on a shelf in my garage and the Edelbrock is in the '72, but needs a rebuild bad.

If someone could clarify for me I would appreciate it, save me some time and effort rebuilding the Edelbrock if you guys are talking about the Edel. Qjet that sucks so bad.

If so I guess I can just rebuild the Rochester.

Or it could be that I'm altogether lost here, someone straighten my ass out.

Just caught that Tim, thanks.

18. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you want to bolt it on and go then get a q-jet, if you don't mind tuning a little then get the truck avenger. I have had the truck on its nose almost ready to endo and the carb didn't even stumble, I had it on hell's revenge attempting the hot tub (balls bigger than brains) and it didn't stumble with the nose in the air either.

19. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Seems like a good number of folks try to build a motor and ditch all the smog gear but its difficult to do with emissions testing. Its kind of nice knowing i can put in a performance block and still get great hp with a stock carb and all the smog junk. Only issue ive had with my Qjet is that it tends to load up when I'm wheelin. This sumer I'll be doin a new motor and wil probly toss on another Qjet. Now which brand, I dunno yet.

20. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

For a standard street holley, I'd agree with you fully. But the Truck Avenger was completely redesigned specifically for an off road application. My Q-Jets worked perfect, except for when the truck was on a severe incline or off camber. Then they'd start to flood, or load up, and just run like crap. This truck avenger has never hesitated one bit in the same situations. I am impressed by the Q-jets in almost all situations, but my new one is definitely a step up off-camber. I wouldn't even touch an edelbrock though.