Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which carb?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Legally high, Dec 22, 2001.

1. Legally high

Legally high Newbie

I am in the process of building another truck for mud drags and general 'wheeling and am looking for some advice on what carb to run.
    The engine is a 468 big block Chevy with 9.5 compression and Merlin heads. It has a Comp cams 4x4 extreme cam with a lift of .544in .564ex and .050 duration of 226in 234ex. I am also running an Edelbrock performer rpm air gap intake. The truck has 5.13 gears and a trurbo 400 trans with a 2000 rpm stall comverter.
    should I go with Vaccume or mechanical secondaries
    <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Legally high on 12/22/01 05:29 PM.</FONT></P>

2. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

well since u said for mud drags then a holley would be yer best bet. if it were to be for anything else i would hafta say the q-jet. thats just my opinion tho and prolly alot of others also. lol. hope this helps. get the 750 or 850 cfm. lol. later.

jacob

what is that low rider doing under my k5?
    wow nice lil jap car. whats it good for?

3. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    <font color=red>Mud drags................ A Holley 850.</font color=red><font color=green>

I run a Holley 750 double pumper, with the off-road kit on the street and it's perfect for my heavy footed driving style.
    </font color=green>

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think that I do.............</font color=blue>[​IMG]

4. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

For mud drags, definitely Holley or Demon. Either one would get the job done nicely.

Robb
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>'73 GMC Suburban - 502DFI</a>

5. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Honestly i would run an edelbrock performer car,probably the new 800 cfm model.Ive never had a carb that had throttle response and all around power like the edelbrock.Ive had holleys in the past and they seem to load up alot and you have to constantly adjust them ,I ran an edelbrock on my truck for about 6 months and it does not work when climbing rocks,thats the only complaint i have with it!

6. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Get a Holley.
    In my Camaro I've got a re-worked 850cfm on my 469cid BBC, and its supposed to flow more like 920cfm.
    I'd second that oppinion on a 750 or an 850

[REAL MEN DON"T CARE ABOUT GAS MILEAGE OR RAPID TIRE WEAR!]
    Ryan B.

7. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

would it be worth it to go witha dual quad quadrajet?
    do they even make intake manifolds for that? im not that experienced in the whole "unstreetable power" area

<font color=blue>wheelers hate posers.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>79k15/400/700r4/205/38.5</font color=red>

8. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

With as much as you've done to the engine already, why stop at Carbs go with a fuel injection, much better fuel delivery then you'd ever get with a carb. IMHO

White Knight