Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which cat to get?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlackK5, Aug 7, 2001.

1. BlackK5

BlackK5 Registered Member

Well I am finally going to do it. I plan on ordering a flowmaster cat back system (Force II model) from Summit. I also figured I best replace my catalytic converter with a high flow one since I still have the original one on it. My question: I will probably do the work myself.
    1. Are these direct fit cats easy to install ( i dont have alot of patience!)

2. What cat would you all recommend If I go to a direct fit?

3. What online company would you go with?

4. What size tubing (inlet and outlet) on the cat should I be looking for to match up to my new Force II cat back system from Summit and to my original exhaust?

Thanks much for all your help!

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Get the Catco direct replacement high flow converter from Summit too. I have the exact same system as you are planning to get and I like it alot. Installation was easy on my 89 too. The nice thing on this system is it is not loud untill you get on the gas.

<font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Force II isn't going to be any louder than stock, just so you know.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I saw a flow test of cats in a issue of Hot Rod a while back. Out of all the ones they tested the stock one on a vortec truck (96 I think) flowed the best.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

5. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Force 2 is WAY louder than stock 84 CHevy K10. I don't know what you heard, but you are WRONG!! I went from stock to flowmaster force 2. True, it isn't as loud as the 40 series flows, but nothing like stock.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I believe you are very much mistaking on it not being louder then stock. Mine is a hell of alot louder when I get on it then it was with the stock setup.

<font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't know how you guys hear it from inside if you think it's louder than stock, maybe outside a little but not inside.

And I've made plenty of exhaust systems up, I know all about sound. To me if it's not quite a bit louder than stock I figure it's a waste of money, unless you gained a lot of performance, which depends on a number of factors.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Tim, I figure since K5's have an enclosed cabin that's directly above the exhaust system routing, it's probably easier to hear it from the cab with that than from closed pickup cab. Especially when you've been driving your K5 five for a long time and are used to the pre-change sound...

I would actually prefer to have higher flow exhaust with less than or equal to stock sound. I'm out a lot at night, and I figure my nieghbors have enough to put up with living next to self made rednecks...

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Your ad here**

9. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

Ok...I'm gonna add my .02 cents worth here. I know very little about exhausts (or any other truck part for that matter) but I do know that Wayne's exhaust(and Itali 83's since he has the same system as Wayne ) has gotten louder since he installed what he has now. It is much louder inside the truck and out. I can here his truck coming up the road from about 1/2 mile away. That is with me inside the house and the windows in the house open. My 2 year old even knows the sound of her daddy's truck.

<font color=blue>In God's eyes, All life is equal.
    We honor nature,We honor ourselves.</font color=blue>

10. BlackK5

BlackK5 Registered Member

Installed the Flowmaster catback system last night as well as a new catco cat. Really was not too bad, other than me being plain stupid at times. The cutting torch and sawzall came in real handy at times.

If I were to do another one it would take me half as long!

It definetely has a new tone to it (idle and when on the gas). It really does sound good! And I have a definite power increase.......probabably mostly due to my replacing the cat which incidently weighed about 40 lbs due to ALOT of crap in there!!!!

I definetely recommend this system. By the way I ordered the whole setup (cat also) for $309 from Summit.