Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which CB?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by LittlePig, May 29, 2002.

1. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

I'm torn between the Midland 79-290, which has upper and lower sideband in addition to the regular channels, and has a removeable faceplate etc etc, but costs upwards of $150, or getting a yard sale or Radio Shack special just so I have a radio in the truck (much cheaper, but no sideband). I plan a lot of OTR driving in addition to trail riding, so I like the idea of more channels to listen in on when on the highway (road conditions, location of speed traps etc), and I suspect the Midland has better reception than some bargain-basement special. Any thoughts?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You can used CB Radio's fairly cheap from truck drivers at truck stops. I bought a Cobra 29 LTD Classic for $20.00 once. Great radio, worked real good. Alot of CB shops have used equipment for sale too.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

4. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

I picked up a Sears roadtalker with ssb for $9 (incl. shipping) on ebay. Got a 4ft. Firestik II for $13 (also ebay), picked up the coax and ant mount from radio shack for under $20.

I figure that most of the use will be close proximity so having a high power rig isn't so crucial. Most of the advice I've gotten says to get a better antenna versus a better radio if you don't have the $$ for highend stuff.

5. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

Money isn't so much of an issue in this case. I am more interested in getting a good radio. I like the anti-theft capabilities of the Midland, and am willing to pay the price to get it. i just wondered if anyone knew whether it was a good set, and worth the price, or not. Granted, it will be easier on the bank account to get the cheaper radio, but that isn't my main motivation.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm not a big fan of Midlands. Now Ranger makes a good quality radio. I'd stay away from a detachable face, that to me is just a way to jack up the price. Anyways a quick release kit it cheap and easy to set up. I'd get the better radio and antenna set up.

7. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

The newer midlands, especially the model you mentioned, are pretty good radios. The one you are considering can also be modified for extended frequency range. It's a whole lot of radio in a fairly small package. If the wallet can take the hit then go for the midland if it fits your needs. Bigger and better radios can be had for around the same price as the midland but don't have the main feature you mentioned you liked about it (the detachable face)

Regardless of what radio you pick be sure to get a quality antenna. $20 radio + great antenna is better than $300 radio and cheap crappy 2 foot antenna. get the picture?

good luck

8. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Spend the money, get the better radio though I don't anything about a Midland I haven't use one in a long time. I do know it will work better than 20$ cheap'o ( that doesn't include the truck stop special)

Eric