Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which chain for my np203

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mofugly13, Jan 2, 2006.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I think the chain in my np203 has stretched. It has a part time kit. When in 4wd and I put a load on it I get a 'bang' from underneath the vehicle every few rev's of the tires. I don't know when I'll get around to changing it, but would like to have a replacement on hand for when a block of free time pops up. I know there are two different chains, I think the difference is in the width and 'pitch'? There's 1/2" and 3/8" pitch. . Anyhow, how do I tell which one I have, do I need to pull the front output? What's the easiest way to find out, so that I can have the right chain on hand when the time comes?

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Put a 205 in it? :D
    th350-np203's are pretty abundant in the junkyards.

3. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

As far as I know the only difference is width, I had the skinny chain and IIRC pre-77 had the thicker 2.5" chain. 77-79 had the thinner 2" chain. You could probably access it through the PTO cover. (That little square cover on the driver's side) It's in a good spot.

4. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

If I put a 205 in it I'd have to change my driveshafts. I wanna rebuild the 203, so that down the road I'll find a 205 and use the 'recently rebuilt' 203 range box for a doubler setup. I just want the 203 to work right, and worry about driveline changes down the road when cash is more abundant.