Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which clutch do I need?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Brocky, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

I have sm465 going into the K5 and I just phoned NAPA to price a clutch. $180 Canadian but there is two types. I am uncertain what they are talking about so here goes. One clutch is diaphram type and the other is lever? Which do I need? Is this difference for hydro clutch and linkage type?

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

It doesn't really matter. The three-finger (borg & beck type) is a little stiffer in the pedal than the diaprahms. I personally think the diaphram clutches or more reliable, but just my opinoin.
    I wouldn't get a clutch from an auto parts store though, 9 times out of 10 it's a reman clutch, and they are worthless. Ask them if it's all new or a reman clutch.
    Luk clutches are excellent, so are centerforce, my personal 2 choices. Centerforce somtimes uses a luk disc. Also make sure to get a new kit, plate disc and throwout bearing all togetther. Make sure to resurface or replace your flywheel if it's out of spec too, alot of people love to skip this then wonder why thier brand new clutch is chattering, burning, etc.
    You can get luk clutches online from http://www.dialaclutch.com Your clutch is probably about $150, and it's free shipping.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i run a 12" reman from carquest, cost me $68. its the diaphram type also. this clutch has held up thew a ton of beating and it still is like brand new.

filled it up with mud 3 times so much that it wouln't move, it started smoking the first time because i didn't realize it was slipping. a hour with a hose under the truck and its good as new.

the hydro and linkage makes no difference on the clutch it self. as far as the lever type, it is harder on your leg and after some time will chatter. i like the daiphram alot more, the only down side to it is with high rpm the pressure plate likes to flatten out causing less pressure on the disk allowing it to slip. centerforce has weights on their pressure plate that stops this.

4. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the responses. Now going to make a few phone calls and see what I can get that is aftermarket. Just gotta make the woman aware that it is better.

5. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Get the LUK pro gold! It's expensive but well worth it. I never thought that a clutch could work as well as it does. Make sure you can fit the 12" disc on your flywheel and go for it.

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

When I got my clutch they had two kinds also... one was the normal clutch lining (diaphragm, 12") - the other was a ceramic-button type. They cautioned me its extremely grabby - and really meant for 2-5 ton trucks.

Anyway, I bought the regular one, (new - not rebuilt) for $160 CDN. The brand marked on the box was "Sach's" but the stamping on the parts was 'Borg & Beck'.