Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which clutch?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by atomicdog, Jan 5, 2007.

1. atomicdog

atomicdog Registered Member

converting my blazer to 4 speed already have the 465 and pedals,just wandering wich is best,mechanical,hydraulic,or internal hydraulic.I know some of you guys have done this, any advise?

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Most guys recommend the hydraulic.

3. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

The mechanical is much cheaper, easy to find, and more than adequate IMO. If I had the hydraulic stuff in front of me, it would be in my truck. The parts to convert to hydro are somewhat difficult to find and fetch a fair amount of money.

Run far, far away from internal slave cylinders (though I have never heard of that setup on a SBC anyway)

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

there not that bad. about the time thay let go its time for a clutch job.

and late 95 up gms are internal style on full size. :D

what ever you do dont use 3 finger clutch setup with stock hydro parts. or this will happen. pressure plate 1" taller and hits the fork bad. 3/4 release only and sounds like bad starter when running.

hydro clutch 002.jpg

hydro clutch 004.jpg

5. fred2mihi

fred2mihi 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just put a CenterForce Hydralic in my 87. When you put that sucker in gear it is ready to go. I've heard stories of guys getting their mechanical clutch hung up and end up breaking linkage.

fred2mihi

6. 1977k5

Tell that to any of the XJ (Cherokee) guys. Their internal slaves fail practically on a yearly basis :eek1:

**I know that's not what was being discussed, but I know several people that have been through probably a dozen internal slaves combined, and when they go they are a lot more work than an external one**

7. 1977k5

I would imagine a lot of the breakage on mechanical linkeage is due to the flex between the body and frame (which is amplified by 30 year old body mounts). I had issues with disengaging my clutch when it was flexed out and that was 100% solved by new poly body mounts.

I have had my clutch linkage seperate on me though. I was gettin' on it pretty hard and the drivetrain torqued itself over enough (2-2 1/2" :eek1:) that the z-bar fell out! Nothing broken and an easy fix, but wouldn't have happened to a hydro clutch. Poly motor/trans mounts will fix that though :D

BTW, what do you think of the centerforce Fred? I think Scott was asking about my setup (4.56's and a centerforce) before you put yours in.

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sent you a PM.

9. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

i just swapped my slush box for a aluminum to 465 best thing i ever did. i used the hydr. out of a 87 3/4 ton. the only problem i had was a master cylinder that only lasted a year. but that was from advanced auto. just look for a 86-87 truck 86-91 1 ton in the junk yard. all got all the parts for $150 bell,pedals lines and all. but they are getting rare. this was the second time i had to find one and it was one truck out of 7 junk yards (it was at the same one i got the first out of) but check ebay

10. atomicdog

atomicdog Registered Member

Still thinkin about it. Thanks