Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which clutch...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Mar 19, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

As some of you know, I am replacing my 700r4/208 combo with a 465/205 combo... I am getting a new bell housing from GM and probably a new flywheel form them as well...But what clutch do I get...My truck is my daily driver but I want something that will hold up well off road and on road...I am 19 so I have a pretty heavy right foot (esp. when at a light nexdt to a F*rd /forums/images/icons/smile.gif)I was thinking CenterForce Stage II or Dual Friction but then MJ pointed out companies like Ram and McLeod...I WANT AS MUCH INPUT AS YOU HAVE TO OFFER...What are your opinions based on experience you have had with a certain clutch...

Chris

2. 77K5Blazer

77K5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I am 16, I wear a size 13 boot, and it is very heavy!:) I killed the TO bearing in my setup pretty quick. Dumped the clutch at too high of an RPM...trust me, I learned my lesson! I too have the 465/205. I researched this a LOT. I went with a Centerforce Stage II. I LOVE that clutch! It is one of the nicest clutches I have ever driven. I drive a lot of different vehicles, because I work for a delivery company. I would not reccomend the Dual Friction for DDing...it had 90% more grab than a factory clutch, which makes a stiff pedal. The stage II only has 60%. It is basically in or out. It has a wondeful pedal feel to it, and is not that stiff, to me. But then again, I am very used to it. Look at it this way, if your leg isn't too strong, it will be after driving one of these! I have another friend driving a ford with a Stage II behing a 360. Although he wears smaller boots, for some damn reason his right foot is about twice as heavy as mine! LOL! That guy rods on his truck. I cannot believe that FURD hasn't broken more times than it already has. Then again, my K5 had it's fair share of problems. I have 3-4K on my clutch with no problems! I would reccomend this from personal experience, but don't just take my word. Do the research. Just let us know what you decide to do, and how it works! Later...Allan

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I would say a Ram clutch I use to sell both the Ram and the Centerforce, but we started pushing the Ram line because they held up better, pedal feel was better, and they are les expensive /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i also run a centerforce stage II..you do not need the the duel friction...just take a min to think how a clutch works....the faster the RPM's the more force is put on to the clutch plate to hold it...so there really is no need for the duel friction...all its goin to do for ya is wear out your flywheel prematurly...just go for the centerforce II or something along thos lines

5. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

oh yea i have a size 15 foot so yea i have a heavy foot too.../forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

6. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

I'm running the centerforce dual friction. Pedal effect isn't to bad at all. Haven't had it slip once since install about 12,000 miles ago. Can't really compare to other brands eccept for parts store replacement. Went through a few of those in the Camaro, but have been happy with the dual friction so far.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm open to more suggestions. I beat the snot out of my truck and I want a tough clutch and I don't want to waste my money. My 700/208 is already history and 465/205 will be in before I drive it again.

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'm gonna be putting one in soon and so this was a great post. lets get some feedback!
    I'm leaning towards the center force stage 2

9. Quack_Addict

Quack_Addict 1/2 ton status

I run an SM465/NP205. When I restored my truck I did a lot of research on this topic... heard several stories about the Centerforce clutches coming apart! I bought a LUK Gold series clutch & pressure plate. They came highly recommended by a guy I know who does tractor pulls.

Two different clutch sizes will fit an SM465 with a 10 spline input shaft... 11" and 12". For a daily driver and general use, the 11" should work, but the 12" is definately a better unit if you plan on pulling stuck people out of the swamp in the back 40.

10. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

Does Centerforce offer a lifetime warranty???

This was the most important part for my clutch decision. I went with the cheapo auto parts store 12" clutch because it was cheap and had a life time warranty. I beat the crap out of my truck and don't expect the clutch to last very long at all and I didn't want to have to buy alot of expensive clutches if there was no lifetime warranty. If you do alot of muddin don't expect the clutch to last too long.

11. fortcollinsram

TTT...Let hear about some more experiences w/ different clutchs...No hear-say is as powerful as a first-hand experience with a product, IMO...

Chris

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

In 95ish I put in a CenterForce II Cluch Kit in my sm465. I have NEVER had any issues with it! I love the light pedal it gave me, especially compared to the stock 3fork pressure plate I took out!! I have heard of the Centeforce Pressureplates coming apart BUT that was for Toyota's only(I have a friend that is a Toyota factory mechanic and he has only seen and heard that was the Toyota's that doesn't like the CF pressure plates???). I totaly love my cluch and over the years of road trips and wheelin I have never even had to adjust it for wear!
    I agree the DualFriction is overkill for our rigs/setup.
    I would recomend the CF2Kit to anyone.
    Good Luck

13. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

chaz, dual friction is nice because we dont use high RPM's all the time. specialy with a 6 to one granny gear in the 465. so dual friction pays off in that case. i liked my CFII when i had it in my 69 chevelle. and i did go through a few TO bearings from time to time. but that is my fault should have used timken. i personaly would go with a dual friction clutch. any large brand should be fine, but dont pay too much for a name.
    Grant

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I heard a rumour that CF pressure plate was just a LUK with wieghts added

15. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

CF and Ram use luk pressure plates on there lower end clutches. Ram doesnt make there own until you get into the series clutches.

16. Big_B_Murphy

Big_B_Murphy 1/2 ton status

I guess i am just cheap. I bought the el cheapo auto parts store(Advance Auto) Flywheel, Pressure plate, clutch, and throughout bearing. It has worked for me in the past and it is working for me now. The warranty is nice to have, as clutch parts don't like mud very much.

17. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

To be honest, I have only run a parts store (Autozone) clutch assembly. So far, I haven't had any problems. I liked the fact that it had a lifetime warranty. I've heard good things about the Centerforce, but I don't have any personal experience with it.

18. fortcollinsram

TTT...I am about to buy this thing and wanted some last minute input...I was going to go with the Ram PowerGrip HD and McLeod flywheel...Anybody have any other favorites/least favorites they'd like top mention before I order...

19. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

i used a McLeod starter, flywheel, 2700# pressure plate, and no marcel/spring disc in my 5.0 and thought it was great stuff
    any link to the Ram you have chosen?

20. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

its probably a Luk rebox but they are most likely the #1 clutch company
    the "cobra" kit that I got from Ford Motorsports was a Luk kit and I was extremely happy with it.
    the mcleod was more like a toggle switch. no one else could drive the car