Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which coils for 71 blazer 4 link?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by garlicbreath, Mar 27, 2005.

1. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I am going to do a 3 or 4 link on my 71 blazer and need some ideas on which coils to use. I currently have 6 inch tough country springs up front and 8's in the back with a D60 14B and 37-12.5-16 Swamper ssr's. Do you guys have any pics of coil buckets or mount's? The truck only gets driven about 4000 miles a year, and mainly for wheeling/camping. It rides and flexes like a piece of channel iron right now, which is why I want something different. The other option of course is to do some spring swapping, maybe some 52's up front, a shackle flip and ? in the back.

2. bgreen

bgreen 1/2 ton status

This going on the front or the rear?

3. garlicbreath

Both, but I will be doing the rear first, might stay with leaves in the front.

4. garlicbreath

5. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

6. garlicbreath

Thanks, that was a nice article. I am actually trying to go with coil springs though, the coilovers are out of my budget.

7. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

in the rear start looking at other rigs that came with coils in the rear and trying to find out their spring rates. I heard of a guy using 2.5" lift front TJ coils in the rear of a blazer it worked well but you could not carry a dang thing in the back of it

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Have you gotten an accurate weight of your truck yet?

It's going to be hard to know what type of coil you can use until you have determined the sprung vs. unsprung weight of the truck. The "sprung" mass is what you need to hold up in the air. A decent race shop will have a set of 4-corner scales that can usually measure high enough to accurately weigh a Blazer....I had mine done that way and was surprised at the numbers I saw.

"The CoG" forum might give you some clues. I am building a custom 4-link front and rear for a '69 K5, but I'm using coilovers......and Mogs..... and other weird stuff.