Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which computer program to use for product purchasing?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Liberator, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

Well, here's the problem. The business I work for is expanding and I'm stuck in the middle with my finger in my nose. I am in charge of ordering misc. parts we need to finish and package our manufactured products. When I get a work order that says we have this number of parts in production, I need to figure out how many boxes, how much packing material, how many nuts, how many bolts, etc, will go into each kit. I've gotta say doing these counts in my head is getting to be a real head ache! Not to mention, there's more room for error, which happens too frequently! I need to find a program that will allow me to type in the amount of product I am expecting and in turn it'll tell me exactly what I need to order to make a finished product. I was thinking maybe Excel or Access, but I am unfamiliar with these programs. Can anyone help?

Bo

2. TITAN

TITAN 1/2 ton status

Use Excel and go to the local Vo-tech and find a Business Administrative Assistant student that is almost finished. A few skins and bam, you are hooked up. I would try to help you but I suck at Excel that is why I married a Business Administrative Assistant. *LOL* /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Here at work we use a software suite that consists of two separate programs for inventory control/ordering. SBT and TIW workshop, SBT also has built in payroll functions and whatnot, so that may be a company-wide option for your buisness to look into. The two programs integrate with each other so it makes inventory pretty easy to track. I'm just an IT guy here, so I don't know much about the actual operation of the software, but I do know that it is fairly easy on the IT department to setup, maintain, and it dosen't kill the network with loads of traffic.

4. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

buyers with blazers! cool beans.
    i can whip you up an excel spreadsheet that should simplify part of your life for now.
    give me the particulars, maybe e-mail me what kind of info you want in the grid.
    might take me till the first of the week, it depends how busy we get here.
    purchasing@bayvoltex.com

5. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help everyone! delta9blazer just sent me a spreadsheet that looks like it'll work with slight modification.

Calclips, are SBT and TIW acronyms for something? I'm trying to talk to boss into buying software that will help the company run more efficiently. After we get the network setup! If we get the network setup!

Thanks again for all the help and sorry it took so long to respond. I just got back from a wedding in Colorado, Evergreen area. It's beautiful out there! I may have to move there before I find something that ties me down in SoCal.