Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which Console system?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Jan 2, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

My computer needs a new graphics card to play games again, but I already beat HL2 and Tribes Vengance was getting boring. So while shopping for a new video card I start thinking, hmm should I get a console instead? I've got nothing to do here at my new home other than watch tv, movies, read a book, and play video games. I've already started reading more than I did at home and as long as I pick good books that will continue but TV is just boring most of the time and movies cost too much for the 2 hours you get out of them. If I had a job where spending $20 on a new DVD or $4 on a few rentals wasn't an issue that would be great. But out of all of them playing a good video game seems the best option. So what console should I consider? I'm leaning towards buying a GameCube. There is a new Zelda game coming out(I loved Ocarina of Time), it has Tony Hawk's Underground 2, Resident Evil 4 will be GC exclusive. But PS2 has the Final Fantasy series and the Gran Turismo Series as well. Buying a PS2 and a GC would be ideal but not happening right now. Maybe later.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

you forgot an option....:grin:

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm sorry

4. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

we have the Ps2, Xbox and PC. they all have there advantages but we always end up playing the PS2 the most. I Personally like PS2 more.

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i voted but it brought me to a post of thumpers in the tech section?????:confused::confused::confused::confused:

i say computer because i dont like all the new style controlers but that is me.

6. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

mine did the same thing, I dont know about this new forum.

My vote is for the PS2, just have never been a real fan of the XBOX, plus they have a new PS2 that just came out it is supposed to be smaller and thinner :xmas:

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I voted just to see what you guys are talking about and it took me there too. Messed up.

8. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have a came cube xbox and pc. the xbox has awesome graphics:D the game cube graphics are good also. ps2 has more games then either the game cube or xbox though so id go ps2:D

9. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

I just got an x-box last thursday. Got Halo II and Splinter Cell, Pandora Tomorrow. Been staying up way to late playing Splinter Cell since I got it:D
    I'm really digging it:saweet:

My nephews had PS2 and now have X-Box....They only play X-Box since they got it.

10. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

graphics are the best on the xbox, plus the xbox has some pretty cool features, like the hard drive built in so you can save music or whatever onto it. You can also put a bigger hard drive in the xbox and save games onto it. I have a PS2. I think it has the biggest selection of games. I would go with a PS2 or an xbox though.

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I used an x-box last night at my friends house... I hate the controllers...

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I have a PS2 and play almost daily. There are a few games for Xbox I'd like too play like Mech-warrior, but I'm happy with the PS2.

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I think I';m gonna get the new Graphics card anyway, but I think I'm going with the GameCube. Have a list of games I want to play on that. PS2 I'd like to play Gran Turismo 4 thats all I can think of.

14. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

Got the Radeon Pro 9800. Made a differnce in Half Life 2. Still choppy in places, but the detail was way better.

15. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Gamecube is only good for Resident Evil. Just rent a gamecube at blockbuster for a week to play RE4.

PS2 gets my vote. If you add the S-video cable it improves the graphics a bit.

16. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

I own a Xbox and a Gamecube. I like the gamecube, but I hate save cards and the xbox has the harddrive and you never have to worry about running out of save space. Also if you are looking at a xbox, make sure you get the smaller controllers, they are set up kinda like a gamecube controller. I hate those huge xbox controllers.

17. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

PS2 has the most games, and is far more adult oriented with their games. Nobody has as many gory shoot 'em up games. Halo might be cool, if you like getting your ass kicked by a twelve year old Japanese meth head online, but PS2 has a much larger selection of good shooters. The way I see it, here are the pros and cons:

PS2 pros: More games
    More adult oriented games
    A controller that's basically unchanged in 10 years
    PS2 cons: No hard drive, needs a memory card

Xbox pros: Online set-up is great
    Expandable hard drive
    No memory card needed
    Xbox cons: Small game selection
    It's not PS2

Gamecube pros: None
    Gamecube cons: Awesome if you are 10 and still want kiddie games like Mario
    Kart

Just opinion...

18. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Weve got X-box, Game Cube and PS2 IThe Game Cube is more kid friendy and its the one we use in the van(bought it for zelda and Mario). The X-box has some killer games and graphics. The PS2 is prety good, havent used it for a while but it does have some nice games. I keep thinking about upgrading the PC with new video card but I keep going back to the consoles for the convience. Id say with no kids go with the X-box or PS2, you wont be disapointed with either.:dunno:

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I bought Gamecube.

When it comes to non kiddie games I want to play them on the PC anyway. FPSs and such I will play on the computer. Maybe I will get Final Fantasy XI for the PC. So far the GameCube is nice. And it was cheap. For the price of the Playstation 2 I got a Gamecube with 2 controllers and 2 games(holiday bundle Walmart had). Waiting for the release of Resident Evil 4 and the next one in the Zelda lineup.

20. rerun93

rerun93 Registered Member

the only way to go is xbox. mine is cracked bios and i have a 120 gig hard drive in it. not only that i have all neintendo, sega genesa , super nintendo. n64. game gear. and another one i cant rember but i have those systems on there with every game made. to to mention i have like 15 xbox games stored on my xbox with plenty of storage left for at least 4 more games. and i only put a 120 gig cause that was my spare drive. my buddie has a 260 gig.can u do that with ps2.........i think not

ReRuN