Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which D-shaft is better? Single or Carrier bearing style?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chvyhs, Sep 13, 2002.

1. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I have a 1990 3/4ton Sub that still does plenty of towing and probably too much rock crawlin. With my wheelbase my rear drive line angle is great but it also hurts me on the rocks because my D-shaft hangs down more than a short wheelbase truck would. I have the single d-shaft in my Sub right now and I have a complete carrier bearing style one in the garage out of a 1978 3/4ton. I've seen that all the 1 tons have the carrier bearing style d-shaft. Is it stronger? I was thinking I could turn my pinion up if I went to this style and get some more ground clearance. What do you think?
    Here's a pic
    [​IMG]

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

that's why i was asking about divorced cases the rear line is too long and the front is too short. it sounds alright, but it's also 2 more u joints to break.

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Every bit helps when gaining ground clearance. The little things like that don't seem like much by themselves but when you start adding them all up it really makes a difference.

4. muddysub

that's true, and you'd probably have the only suburban with a carrier bearing shaft. i'd do it just to be different. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

false, burbs also got carrier bearing style shaft when the th400 with fixed yoke were installed, and also when 4 speed manual were installed, which is the case for any other truck model also.
    even vans with regular old th350 use carrier bearing shaft, and they dont have that long of wheelbase.

alot of swb trucks in 64-72 got two piece shaft too, and there are two differetn styles of the bearings and three or four different styles of mounting them i have come across and seen in the past.

good luck

6. muddysub

wow thanks, i learn something new every day on here and i've been here over a year! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Is there any strength advantage in either design?

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I would think that having less angle at the U-joint would last longer but reducing the weight of the shaft on the U-Joint by splitting the length of the shaft in half would probalby assits in longevity as well.

9. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Thanks.

When are you going to take the So Cal Big Dawgs on a run through Bronco Canyon? Your video looks good.

10. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

The next time I do Bronco Hill in Coral Canyon I'm doing it west to east which I'm quite possitive will require both the front and back to be locked and the addition of skid plates on the undercarriage to make up for the width of the truck. It would make a fun SoCal run if people weren't concerned with taking damage so far from home.