Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which D60? (and other related ?s)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbartman, Sep 12, 2002.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I have a friend that has access to wholesale auto auctions. They said they could help me in getting a D60 for my rig. Since they are not local, i cannot be at the auction. i have to give them the information on what to search for.

What brand(s), model(s), year(s) of vehicles should I tell him to look out for in order to get the best straight swap? I am guessing the best bet is some year of K30, but which? What about Dodges?

Second question... Besides locker prices (welding costs the same) and the issue of spring perches, what should I consider when deciding between a 14BFF and a D60 for the rear?

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

As far as the rear is concerned, I was under the impression it was a question of ease of bolt in, and ground clearance. 14FF from a 3/4 ton is a direct bolt in, a 14FF from a one ton needs to have the spring perches moves (and I think shock brackets moved) but gives you larger drums and brakes. If you were thinking disc brake coversion than a 3/4 ton version is your best/easiest bet. Both axles are plenty strong (14FF probably has stronger axles and R&P, but negligable in most our rigs). The D60 has a smaller pumpkin housing and gives more ground clearance (rock crawler's special). I'm not sure if the D60 ever came stock in the rear for a GM fullsize (Wes or other's may know). If it didn't, then fabrication will probably be necessary (spring perches and shock mounts). I know it's probably not the answer you were looking for, but hopefully it will be food for thought.

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I am going with disc brakes. I have a K20 with a 14BSF rear. Do the 3/4-ton rigs vary between which used the SF and which used a FF?

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

dana 60 rears used to be used under some 64-72 trucks, mostly under leaf spring rear(G70) trucks and some 4x4's all depending on drivetrain ordered, alot of 80;'s duallies have dana 60 rear and sway bars also.

i am undr impression and also from what i ahave always ever seen in all years 64-87 that 4x4s have 40" spring perch centers and all 1 tons(at least duallies anyways) are 40" centers, too
    and all longhorns also 40" (this model of truck was producd in '68-72 only is is a 1 ton fleetbed truck with 6" pf extra length added onto front end of bed and using a 1 ton 133" WB frame) also

all 2wd cept longhorn and 1 ton always are 42.5" centers.

good luck

5. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Actually, 73-87 "wide-side" duallies used the Dana 70, not the 60.......