Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which D60 spindle nut kit is better?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ned Kelly, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My D60 spindle nut is the 'pin lock style'. The pins have broken, and since my last front axle servicing, one spindle lock nut was alittle loose. The other was ok.

There is also the 'bend over tab style' spindle nut kit. Is one style better than the other? Or is it ok to run the 'pin lock style' even if the 'pin' has broken off? If your not sure what I speak of, here is a link to POR D60 tech site, the kits are about 3/4 of the way down the page.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

only time i have broken a pin is from piece of crap socket cheepo that didnt have the pin relefe cut in to it to clear the pin. and the other set of nuts with the tabs is for the rears.

3. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I like the pin style better. I still have the tab style on mine and I have to check them often. You can buy the nuts from the parts store. Have them check all their sources though, I priced them out and one book they were like $15 each peice and another parts book listed them for like $2-5 each.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

5. Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I saw the EBAY parts, but I'll try locally first. I never thought about a relief in the socket to clear the pin - I'll check the socket (Lisle brand) - maybe I broke the pins off unknowingly by not lining up the pin relief :doah: . I also wasn't aware the bend over tabs were for D60 rears. All good info guys. Gee, you'd never know I've been doing all my truck's D60 servicing since, what 1989? I must sound like newbie. :crazy:

6. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

All of the D60FF rears I've been into (Dodge and GM) had the hex nut thingamajiggy. :D