Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which dealer to patronize

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by greeleycoloscott, Mar 19, 2006.

1. greeleycoloscott

greeleycoloscott Registered Member

looking to do shackle flip /4 to 6 inch lift and all that goes with it any good or bad retailers to go with or avoid. i would really like to get the whole kitnkaboodle from 1 place with good customer service and excellent product knowledge for a dummy like me !

2. greeleycoloscott

cmon and dont be shy im sure there are some great stories here both good and bad!

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

doood, ya need to give peeps more than 2 minutes to reply, its not chat... :haha:

the 2 obvious choices are ORD http://www.offroaddesign.com/

and Kert at http://diy4x.com/

both make fine products...

4. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

ORD is always a great place, but I think I will personally do most of my shopping at DIY4X

Nothing against ORD or anybody else, I just think DIY4x's stuff fits me better.

EDIT -
    Damn You Ryoken! You Mech-loving bastard beat me by a few seconds. :D

Great minds think alike though, huh?

5. greeleycoloscott

diy4x ???? i am not familiar with this abreviation sorry

6. ryoken

haha :haha:

I too am strongly considering Kert's flip.... Definitely building some quality product..

Tho i do like the looks of ORD's new HD rear shackle, tho not the price. :(

ORD definitely has a wider range of product available, which may be what this guy wants/needs...

7. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

"Do-It-Yourself 4 x (4)"

Just click one of the above links and check out his site.

A lot of fun stuff there and Kert is an awesome guy to work with.

8. ryoken

Try clicking the link..... :wink1:

9. seattle73k5

seattle73k5 1/2 ton status

I have bought products from both companies, got all my high steer and crossover from ORD along with the bolt on steering brace all top of the line.

I got my shackle flip with 6 inch shackles from DIY4X, and I have to say they are awsome I like the versitility of the DIY4X kit because you can switch up the shackles easier than you can the ORD they are limited to the stock shackle unless they have changes the design recently.

As for customer service both or good but I think Kert is more hands on and you can call him direct on his cell and talk and he is very willing to work with you to customize anything in your order if you just tell him what you want.

Don't get me wrong ORD and Stephen are good to with customer service and they have some awsome products.

I guess I am just partial to Kert and DIY4X.

Too bad M.O.O went out of business they also had some good products, but I notice both Stephen and Kert and their companies have been making similar products that M.O.O use to carry. I know off the subject.......

DIY4X for Shackle flip & switch would be my choice for versitility.

10. greeleycoloscott

thank you this is very good site should be of help

11. greeleycoloscott

was also interested in lift kit shims for proper alignment pitman arm brake lines i have a set of one ton axles so i am sure there will be a number of things unforseen with that when i go to makle the switch soon i hope

12. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I have an ORD steering brace, and its awsome. If I ever get my junk running again, I'm seriously considering Kert's shackle flip out back. That thing looks awsome. I called his cell about a week ago and talked with him.

What kind of rig do you have? wheelbase does play a role, but since the shackle flip points your pinion up, you very well may not even need a shim. Crossover seems to be the most popular way to go for steering. You will have to get ahold of a 2wd steering box or at least the sector shaft from one of those boxes. If you're not concered with hardcore wheeling, or are on a budget (like me, lol)....you can just get a raised steering arm. I think you have to beat the crap out of the old steering arm to get it off. You will probably want to go with some Tough Country EZ ride front springs, or some BDS front springs, 4" lift springs that is. There is also an article about swapping 52's (stock rear springs from blazers and other trucks) onto the front, for about 4" of lift. That would take a little more skill to do than just some lift springs for the front. And you would have to go crossover, I think, if you did the 52 swap.

You will want to get extended brake lines, I think there is a part number or two floating around for some good lines from Napa.. do a search on that.

You will obviously want longer shocks. It is popular to use shocktowers from ford superduties on the front, so the shocks won't limit your flex. It is also popular to move the rear shock mounts inboard, but that takes some welding skills. Garbriels seem to be a popular choice, because they are cheap, decent shocks. I think Bilsteins supposedly are really high quality rideing shocks.

It all depends on what type of wheeling you plan to do. The sky is the limit as far as suspension goes. Stick around here a while and you'll hear about all kinda of suspension setups.
    thanks,
    James

13. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

X2, I have great success with DIY, I have their flip installed on my Sub, if I had to do it again I would purchase another on from DIY.