Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which differential to go with

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by therover87, Oct 20, 2001.

1. therover87

therover87 1/2 ton status

i just picked up a gm 14 bolt full floater for my 87 k5 and right now it has the one wheel peel and i am looking to put a posi set up into it, its an everyday driver so i was looking at the auburn limited slip and the powertrax model, has anyone used these before and do you think i would be better with going with a locker, i go off roading very rarely, its a street truck with a brand new zz4 motor.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Auburn, not locker if you don't offroad much.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

3. therover87

the auburn is a good set up compared to the powertrax

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The Auburn is not available for the 14 bolt FF.

Here is an application table from Randy's Ring and Pinion.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.ring-pinion.com/a-gm.html> Randy's </a>

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Just get a Detroit locker and be done with it. What ever you do don't get a gov-lock they suck. I had one in my 10 bolt and I destroyed it. I did a hard take off with a stock 350 and blew it up.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I forgot this is a 14 FF we're referring to.

Options are very limited. Go with a Detroit or leave it open.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

7. therover87

do u think that it would be a problem having a locker for an everyday driver

8. Dip Stick

Dip Stick Registered Member

You can put in an ARB too but thats alot of f'in money just to be able to control when it locks up. I would just find a spool mainly cause its cheaper. Not sure if they make a spool for the 14ff though, have to look around for one.

<font color=red> It's not what you drive, it's how you drive it</font color=red>
    1986 K20 & Lots of Rust

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Awww, come on now, dont rule out the Gov-Lock. [​IMG]

I have one in my K30 and its doing great! Just as long as the posi lube is in there, it works just fine.

For the size and amount of fluid the 14FF holds, I poured 14 ounces of posi lube along with the 80-90 weight oil. That GL works like a brand new locker. [​IMG]

My GL works so good, when I turn corners at slower speeds, the tires are chirping and grabbing for traction. People have told me my rearend is going bad and making noise. I just laugh at them. [​IMG] If only they knew........[​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Mike...they don't make an ARB or a spool for a 14 Ff either...

My Jimmy is my daily driver, and my 14 bolt FF is welded. Then again I've been accused of not being normal.[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

11. Hossbaby50

When I put in my 14BFF I am going Detroit. It is mostly a daily driver. I am not going to put in a heavy duty axle like a 14Bolt and then put in a Gov-Loc. I just don't trust them. I have heard and witnessed to many bad stories about the GL. The Detroit is stout and proven.

12. thatK30guy

Yeah, I agree about the DL. I would put one in mine if the carrier was the 4-pin spider, but no, I have the 3-pin and the GL. So they stay, for now.

I have had problems with the GL in a 12 bolt rear once. It worked fine until the pinion nut fell off and tore up everything inside the housing.

I have never, not once, ever, seen nor heard the 14FF GL having a bad 'story' or 'experience' like you have heard. I would bet the stories you heard were more of the GL's on the 10 and 12 bolts. Now on the 10 and 12 bolts, I have heard and seen the bad stories and experiences with them.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

13. Hossbaby50

I have never heard any bad stories about the GL in 14 bolts, but I personally wouldn't take the chance. Mild power detroyed the GL in my 10 bolt, and one day I plan on having 450 lb/ft of torque. The only thing I would trust with that much power is a Detroit or ARB, and they don't make an ARB for the 14b.

14. thatK30guy

Believe it or not, I had a shortbed K10 with an inline 6 and it still blew the 12 bolt GL while driving down the street at a measly 15 mph!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Hossbaby50

That sucks. I blew mine up with a 350 V-8 (stock replacement motor). Mine was from take off at a stop light. I heard a loud pop and pops when I went around corners.

16. therover87

i was looking and there is a couple of different series detroit lockers out there, which one would be best for my application?

17. thatK30guy

What rearend do you have?

18. Hossbaby50

I think there is only one available for the 14 bolt. I think it technical name is the No Spin, but don't quote me.

19. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

If you go with a full locker (the Detroit), be careful in the ice. It will be very dangerous on ice. Call Randy's Ring &amp; Pinion. They can set you up with exactly what you need and give you a good price on it. I use my truck to drive to/from work 3-4 days a week and a lot on the weekends. I have had no problems with my Detroit. People say you will chirp your tires and stuff liek that, I haven't. I only chirped them once backing up a steep driveway from a stop at an angle as I applied a lot of throttle. I usually don't even hear the ratcheting over the tires. And I have a Detroit front and rear!

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!