Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which do you prefer?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jarheadk5, Sep 12, 2000.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

This is probably one of those questions that'll end up being like the good old "manual tranny vs. auto tranny" debate, but I'd like to get some opinions, so here goes:

Which do you prefer, sealed u-joints or greasable u-joints, and WHY do you prefer them?

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

2. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

I use sealed, good sealed joints should last is long as greaseable ones. Most people fail to service their u-joints anyway. Some people say they are stronger too, but I'm not sure about this. Once they are in you can forget about them. Never any problems.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Sealed Brute Force from Auto Zone. $12 lifetime warranty, They lost their A$$ on me by putting a lifetime on those. I check them all about once a year or so if I have any doubt in them. Only once did I find water in any of the cups and it was the rear pinion one that takes all the abuse. had a bunch of vines get wrapped around the driveshaft and one of the seals got tore. Not a failure of the product at all just plain abuse.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I accually have both, greasable on the front driveshaft and sealed on the rear. Duno witch is better, I supose the greasable kind would take the guess work out of it sence you can grease them without disasembling the shaft then you would now for sure they are greased well enough by serviceing them regularly.....are sealed stronger, hmm mabie but only if the zerk fitting weakens the joints structure?? Duno......

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I get sealed Joints because I am lazy and always forget to grease the greaseable ones. I too use the Brute Force joints from the Zone, got to love that Lifetime warranty! Actually, it is not lifetime, the warranty is only good for 99 or 999 years! LOL [​IMG]

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

6. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

All of mine are from Spicer and have the gresse fitting in the cap. The cost more but dont breck as often.

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

7. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I prefer the greasable through the cross, I just feel comfortable knowing that I have grease in there. . However next time I do the u-joints, I will probably put a non-greasable u-joint in the front of the driveshaft, as I have to take it out to put grease. My fitting won't fit in there, only on the back location, when the driveshaft is still mounted. I guess it is all preference though - Steve </font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

8. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

I've used both, and the sealed ones seem to hold the water out *better*, but not always completely. The un-drilled joints are stronger, but not enough to worry about (well, on a 1350 size). I replace mine every winter. With high angles, tall gears, water contamination, more power, the joints wear out a lot faster than normal. I only get one summer outta my rear DS 1350's.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

9. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty good with maintence stuff, so I always use greaseable ones. In my experiences, those last longer if you religiously throw grease in them compared to the sealed ones.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad