Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which do you think is better- TSL, TSL SX, TSL Radial.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Storm Trooper, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I'm getting ready to go one ton (Finally!) and was wondering
    what experiences you have had with any of these tires.
    I have a friend that had the TSL SX come a part on him (3-tires) and has had the TSL's last for 40,000 miles.
    Anyone think the Radials are really worth $100 more each??
    Also, any good sources for 16.5 beadlocks?
    Thanks..../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Also, any good sources for 16.5 beadlocks?

<hr></blockquote>
    Steve over at Offroad Design has started selling 16.5 beadlocks, the only other place I can think off the top off my head would be Stockton wheel(maybe).
    As far as your tire question I personally like the TSL SX's, I guess because a buddy of mine has had his for almost 2 years and they seem to be holding up on him especially for a daily driver and a weekend warrior.

3. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

I like the SX's too. They're just awesome for our Ohio mud. Seems like the sidewall lugs really help to climb out of slippery ruts. They look real nasty, too.

4. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

SXs are bad but the reason they last longer is harder rubber which also means rougher ride. Radials will ride better but arent as good offroad (shallow tread plus not as much space between lugs).Tsl is best if you dont mind them not lasting as long

5. Storm Trooper

I know Stephen has them and more than likely where I'll go (Great guys) but it never hurts to check around. Keep the ideas and inputs coming. Who has the highest miles on the three tires before dry rot set in? Most miles will be off-road but I still need to get there. (Mostly Rock, some mud and snow)
    <font color=blue>3 weeks until Moab!
    Can't wait! One ton, locker, new tires, bleadlocks, Can-back, 3:08 to 4:88 Dam, life is good....
    <font color=black>Maybe before Aug. (Fornt bumper, warn 9500, crossover, driveshafts, ARB, rockram....sleeping in my K5 because my wife kicked me out........./forums/images/icons/wink.gif

6. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

The SX is better in rocks if you dont want them to tear up as easy but they say the harder rubber does not grip as good as the softer TSL.

7. Storm Trooper

Any other opinions on this?

8. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Why not get the safety bead of 16" rims? Vs the 16.5" and buying a bead lock?

I would rather not run bead lock as they are illegal for Hwy use here in CA.

Sorry... no suggestions on the TSL vs SXs. I will be getting TSL radials on 16" AR rims here soon. These will replace my 35" BFG ATs on 16.5" chromies.

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

TopOff,

Don't forget the "TireLoc" system.......it's a DOT-approved internal beadlock system for the 16.5" wheels!

That's the way I'm planning to go eventually. I just thought I'd let you know that there IS a legal beadlock solution available.

See it here: http://www.tireloc.com

Also, I think it was WhiteKnight who has been using it for a long time and really liked it!!! FWIW....

10. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I wonder what the shipping is... It looks like they are on the other side of the pond (internationl phone number).

11. Greg72

No....just check the distributor link.....

There's at least one place in the U.S. that carries them.....the only thing I've heard is there is a fairly long lead-time, so order them EARLY if you want them anytime in the near future...../forums/images/icons/wink.gif

12. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

$725 + ship... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

13. Greg72

Well.....all I can say is to go price a set of "conventional" inner&amp;outer beadlock sets! It won't seem so bad anymore..... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

14. Storm Trooper

It seems to me that after you already spent the money on rims, then drill them to install this kit, It would cost you more than a set of bead locks? The size I need is almost as much as a set of bead locks. Good info. but I think I'll go with the normal locks. 16" tires do have the saftey lock but not much to choose from (sizes). I'm ordering mine from Stephen.

15. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

Call Interco at 337-334-3814 ask to speak with Wade. He usually deals with retail sales there in Rayne but he knows his stuff. I think he was driving an early 80s model short bed the last time i was down. You may want to call early in the morning on a monday or something because they stay REALLY busy. Just tell him you are fixin to buy a set and had a few questions.

16. Look on www.rockstomper.com I thought I remember seeing some 16.5 beadlocks on there. Later

-80K20

17. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I am not impressed with my SSR's. The ride is better, but as far as wear goes they don't seem to last any longer that I can tell, bottom line I would not buy them again and will probably just get TSL's or maybe TSL SX's the next time around.

18. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

My future recipe for 4x greatness:

TirLoc System- saving up/forums/images/icons/frown.gif
    39.5 TSL's- sitting in the garage
    Steel 16.5 rims- mounted on the 39.5's

The idea of street legal beadlock's kicks arse, IMHO. My K5 is the daily driver, weekend warrior and eternal test bed, so it has to be legal and ride good. that being said, i think that set up will work to fill all three areas of my needs.