Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which electric fuel pump??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ultra Al, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Ultra Al

Ultra Al Registered Member

After fighting with my mechanical fuel pump and deciding I dont need the aggrevation, Ive decided to convert to electric,. Im running an '83 K5 350 bottom 305 top, quadrajet and rv cam. I dont know if the Carter at about 50 bucks from Jegs is Ok or would the Edelbrock for 150 bucks be the way to go. All advice appreciated and thanks in advance. I did a search on this forum and it sounds like installation involves splicing the electric pump into the existing fuel lines and running in a hot wire and possibly a fuse, is that about right, I see the Carter Im looking at has 1/4" fittings and delivers 4-6 psi with no regulator needed. I dont think the Edelbrock needs a regulator either. Al

2. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

I run the carter on mine right know and it seems to work just fine. I wouldnt spend the extra just to get the edelbrock or holley pumps.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Holley Blue pumps go for like $50 rebuilt on Ebay. Thats what I got for my S10 until I convert it to EFI. regulator needs, eh don't know. I plan to run a regulator and return line setup so no worry for me.

4. mciahpv

mciahpv Registered Member

I've been running a Holley blue for about 7 years now with no problems ever. (Knocking on wood) It does need an external regulator. Wiring is really no problem, the biggest hassle can be the plumbing if you want to use AN fittings.

5. Ultra Al

Thanks all. Right now Im leaning towards the Carter. Im in kind of a remote area but can get delivered from Jegs in a week or less. Now what to do with the old pump. Just plug th e outlets and leave it where it is? I suppose I could cut a piece of steel or aluminum plate, put a little form a gasket around the edges and bolt that on. I take it the electric pump does not have a return line? If not I could just block that line off at the frame. Thanks again. AL

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'd pull the pump, remove the pushrod, put the pump back on and plug it up. No reason to spend money on a cover and no reason to make your motor operate the pump when its not in use.

7. Ultra Al

I hadnt thought of removing the pushrod, sounds like a good idea. I wasnt going to buy a cover I was going to make one out of scrap Ive got laying around, probably more work than its worth, on the other hand a piece of powdercoated diamondplate might look slick down there, no one could see it but Id know it was there. LOL. AL

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

look...

I've seen a few early EFI blocks with factory block off plates for the fuel pump...maybe a boneyard search will turn one up..the ready made ones only cost 12 bucks at my local speed shop,so its hardly worth the effort of making one at that price..or you can do like Sled Dog said,take out the pushrod,and but the old pump back on..

I have yet to do this,but I have been tempted to wire my electric fuel pump up to an oil pressure switch like the factory setup,so if the engine stalls,the pump won't be tempted to keep tryin to pump!--I've seen carbs with leaky needle valves,or tilted off road and stall,and the pump keeps running as long as the key is left on,and it fills up the crankcase with gas!..not a desirable scenerio... :eek1: some electric pumps won't live long if used with a return line--be sure to get the correct one if your truck uses one. :crazy:

9. Ultra Al

The Carter pump Im looking at says it doesent need a pressure switch, I assumed that means it has something like a check valve? I do have a return line on my K5 but I assumed with the electric fuel pump this would be eleminated? Thanks for the response all. I'm planning on ordering this contraption today. AL

10. Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I highly recommend the Facet fuel pump:
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Search?catalogId=10101&storeId=10101&sku=electric+fuel+pump

I bought two of them 15 years ago. One I mounted on the frame, the other I put in the glove box as an emergency spare. The original one is still working, the spare still sits in my glovebox!!

The Carter pump has a rubber diaphragm that can wear out or break down over time (breaks down if you use gas that has alcohol added into the fuel, they sell this in my area, not sure if gasahol is available where you live). My Facet pump has outlasted every Carter pump my friends have used. I am REALLY happy with the Facet and have used it on several vehicles - never a problem - what more can I say.....and it's only $42.

11. Ultra Al

Well thanks but too late, I have already ordered the Carter pump from Summit. However if and when it wears out Ill know where to go. BTW we dont do gasahol in my part of Texas, not yet anyway. If gasahol wears out fuel pump diaphrams Im glad I dont have to run it in my Road King. AL