Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which Electric Fuel Pump

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigoltrux77, Nov 1, 2006.

1. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

A member on this site brought to my attention that the caprice engine im going to be sawpping into my blazer tomorrow might not hold my mechanical fuel pump. It had a plate over the hole, but the pushrod from my old engine wont fit. I was wondering how i would go about installing an electric pump, and what would i ask for at a parts store. Thanks alot.

2. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

are you using the TBI from the caprice? Or the stock quadrajet from the K5???

3. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

Im using a 4bbl Carb, Holley

4. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

ur going to need a low pressure/ high volume for a carberated motor. The holley 12-801 "red" pump is rated at 71 GPH at 4 psi. The high pressure pumps are for fuel injection.

5. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I have the blue holley pump and am not terribly impressed with it. It hasn't failed me yet but it is the loudest fuel pump in the world (even though I have tried to damp the sound). Plus if it ever fails I will have difficulty finding a quick replacement. I wish I had stayed with a mechanical one.

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I have an Airtex 8012S installed on my carb'd 350. The first pump I had was loud and annoying, don't recall what brand. I';m very happy with this one, and it has a good warranty.

It's installed close to the fuel tank, and I have a fuel filter close to it in the line going to the carb. I also have a second fuel filter inline close to the carb (I kept it there from my mechanical pump days).

My mechanical filter had a return line, as does this model fuel pump. If you have a return line too, you can get a regulator (placed in the engine bay) to route the return line and fuel lines to their proper destinations which will handle the absence of the mechanical pump.

Mostwanted is correct. You need a low pressure pump for a carb'd engine.

Oh, and while you're at it, you might as well re-route your fuel lines away from the exhaust manifold so you'll never have to deal with vapor lock.

7. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Generally vapor lock is caused by the fuel in the pump boiling. If you have an electric pump near the tank you will probably never have trouble with vapor lock regardless of where the rest of the lines are routed (its still a good idea to keep them away from exhaust manifolds).

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The problem with boiling fuel is simply the lack of a fuel return. (combined with routing, etc) Doesn't matter where fuel boils, you can't effectively pump boiling fluid. This is why fuel returns were added to just about everything quite some time back.

EFI pumps are all in-tank, still have returns. (except the newest designs)

9. mostwanted

I pretty much hate haveing to run a electric pump on my carbed engin. Whoever built my motor put a cam in with out a pump lobe and should be kicked in the shins. The is virtually no place to mount a holley style pump in a K5 without it either being vulnerable to rocks or vulnerable to heat. Plus it has to be below the tank.

10. mostwanted

can you give more info on this pump? I also am not impressed by my holley. I would like to see some install pics. There are folks out there running the holleys correctly and I'd like to see how they done it.

11. dyeager535

I'd suspect a TBI pump/sender would be an ideal solution, stock parts, easy to get replacements for, proven, well protected, and pretty easy to install. Hard to find the TBI sender, but that's about all that's hard to get.

You'd need a regulator due to the 13PSI of the TBI pump, but that too is an easy fix.

I've been unimpressed with the external pumps, the Holley ones I've dealt with (4 or 5) are quite noisy no matter how they are mounted. Not to say people don't have good results with them of course.

12. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Here's a link: Airtex E-8012s. If you click on the photo, it shows what it comes with. It's quiet, does the job.

Power to it is fused in-line.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

From your mouth to god's ear. However, overkill is comforting. So, not only did I move the fuel lines I wrapped them in Thermo Tec wrap for good measure. Did I mention the dry ice pump that blows onto those very lines? Just in case... ;)

14. mostwanted

I 'preiciate that link skigrl.

Anyone know if a stock in tank pump will fit my tank, which came without the electric pump? Sorry for the hijack!

15. dyeager535

You just need a TBI sender and a way to adapt the lines. Pretty much it, a bit of wiring, etc.