Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which end to lock?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by W7NB, Dec 13, 2006.

?

Front or rear locker location

Poll closed Dec 15, 2006.
  1. Put it in back so it's allways working!

20 vote(s)
    74.1%
  2. Put it up front, ya only need it in 4X anyway.

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  3. Give it back and go thrash the 10 bolts this weekend!

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Well, after listening to a suspicous noise in the rear end of my Blazer I tore into it last night. Imagine my joy to find metal shavings in the lube as it drained:doah:

The good news is the culprit was a broken carrier for the Detroit Locker. Some of the internals were chewed and I imagine the next time I hammered it something would have gone BANG quite nicely. From the looks of things I doubt the locker has been driving the left rear wheel much for a while.

This morning I picked up a stock carrier and plan to shove it in tonight to get me by with - I have a line on a diesel 3/4 ton blazer with a blown motor I can pick up cheap. It has a D60 and 14 bolt so thats the future plan if it all works out.

So, in the mean time I had picked up a Detroit EZ locker from a friend of mine that could go in either end - 90's had 30 splines on both ends so it's a no brainer either way. I had planned to put it in the front end wile I was repacking the front bearings anyway, and was going to check the front u-joints while I was in there.

So the question is, which end to lock for now? Leave the back unlocked and enjoy the better street manners but have the locked front end when I need 4X4, or put it back in back and deal with the constant click click click and understeer that is typical to lock-rights and EZ Lockers?

I'll watch the poll and decide when I get home.

Thanks for votes and comments.

2. merace19

merace19 1/2 ton status

Poke it in the front and weld the rear.

3. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I'd poke it in the rear myself. And weld the front.

4. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

You allways poke 'er in the rear. hahaha

I'd go back end just because it will be LESS likely of NOT being able to limp 'er home. Plus more parts in the front end to break.

Plus I don't hear of too many people putting them in the front anyways.... usually if you have one locker, you poke it in the rear.

5. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Chris

I'll call you later, left my cell in my buddies truck. Couldn't make it today sorry. Tomorrow for sure. :crazy:

6. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

put it in the rear since you are in there anyways. go get yourself the better axles. if you blew up a detroit in the rear you are hard on stuff. don't waste your time and effort on the front.

7. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

Put it in the front so it will last longer.
    The Detroit EZ locker doesn't seem to be as tough as the lock-right, so it might not last as long in the rear.

8. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Sounds like you're willing to experiment anyways, so poot it in the front. I have LockRight in front and NoSlip in the rear, but in hindsight I would have liked to try it with front only, first. I think I just talked myself into giving that a try, that and its so easy to change.:D

9. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

A diesel 3./4 ton blazer? Military? if so it doesnt have a 14 botl/ d60 unless they were swapped in. They would just be 10 bolts.

10. 87'k5boggin

87'k5boggin Registered Member

get the 60 and 14 bolt and then lock them! no worrys of breaking stuff then.

11. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Oops! Diesel Suburban was what I meant. Motor is toast but only has 145k on it so I figure the drivetrain is worth grabbing.

12. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I say stab it in the front. That's what I did. You only need a locker when you're off road, anyway. That way you can swap in that 14-bolt and not have to worry about changing any parts around.

And I would double-check those spline counts, if I were you. My '89 has 28-spline axles up front. And of course I didn't find that out until I had already ordered a 30-spline lock-right. :doah:

That was a waste of $50 on a re-stocking fee and return shipping!

Oh, and unless somebody swapped axles on that 'Burb, it has either a 10-bolt or a D44 up front. Only 1-tons got the D60 treatment.

13. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

So did you leave the rear axle open? If so, how does it work?:D

14. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Yep, the rear is open for now. I have a Deee-troit to go in to my 14bff back there but haven't installed it yet. I'm skeered of lockers and snow. :o

I'll slap it in this spring before I head to Summer Blaze.

As far as how it works... well, it works great on the street but I haven't wheeled it yet. It's just too pretty!

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190533

:haha:

But honestly, I haven't had any free time to go out and play. :(

15. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

I'll double check on the spline count, but my book shows 30 spline for 89 to 91 Blazers, but 28 Spline for the K10's - I hope thats the way it is anyway...

Drat on the Suburban! Then again, the 14 bolt would still be an upgrade to the 10 bolt and for $500 and some wrenching time I don't think I'm out much.

16. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I vote for locker in the rear , but not in the case of an EZ Locker . I had too much hassle with mine . Its sits on a shelf in the garage missing the two pieces I let a friend borrow .

I have Lockrights on both ends , and I love it . DD or trail use doesn't fase it . I even had a tire go down on the freeway , and not an ounce of trouble ( your supposed to be close height on both rear tires ) .

Ran a rear locker for several seasons trail riding , loved it there too , worked so well alone for a time . With the front locked now , I am losing my phobias about body damage and "can I do that" . Expect a broken shaft once in awhile up front :thumb:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  17. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Wow, that is purdy.

18. WinslowS

WinslowS 1/2 ton status

I hope that isn't the issue with all of them, because I just ordered a 30 spline lockrite for my front 10 bolt in my 89 Blazer.....