Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which Engine For 89 TBI

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ZJumper, Dec 13, 2006.

1. ZJumper

ZJumper Registered Member

The engine in my 89 TBI Blazer is getting pretty tired and I'm planning on replacing it soon. I don't want to mess around with modding any of the stock TBI stuff as it works fine, but want to get the most out of it.

So, here is my question...what would be the highest HP GM crate engine the stock TBI would work properly on without any mods to the TBI? Am I correct in assuming the 200HP/300TQ 350cid? Thanks.

2. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

that should work since it's not a huge jump in power from stock.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Acually TBI in Blazers 350 is rated at 210 hp. If you want the most stock power get the GM crateTBI engine for your Blazer. 12568758 light duty TBI up to 7200 gvw engines have 9.25:1 compression ratio.
    If you get the TBI engine rated for over 8600 GVW they have a lower compression ratio and make less power.
    Diference between the two is the heads and the HD model has 4 bolt mains. Dont need 4 bolt mains in a Blazer unless you plan on building some horse power

4. 88$PIT

88$PIT Registered Member

Bear in mind that the engine for the 8600GVW loses HP to the other engine because it is configured to make peak torque at a significantly lower rpm. I had one in a 1 ton rated rig in '89 and even though it wasn't quick it pulled like a gorilla with 4.10 gears.

5. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Thunder is correct. 12568758 is the stock replacement engine for your K5. That engine comes with 3 year 100,000 mile warranty. Any performance engine from GM will not be a trouble free bolt in & go deal. Nor will it have that warranty. Performance stuff is 12 & 12.