Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which engine mod?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Mar 25, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

Ok just wondering what ya'll think I should do here. I could get a pretty nice set of roller rockers, or a pretty lobey cam (260ish grind) or a big single plane intake manifold. What would ya'll recommend to be te first mod to my engine? Anything else in about that price range? Thanks.

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Cam or roller rockers. I was under the impression that single plane manifolds were best suited to a big block. I've got the Edelbrock performer and I love it.

John

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

well roller rockers. THe other two aren't really good for what most K5ers do. Big lobe cam and single plane intakes are for high RPM running engines. Say an engine that makes max power over 4 grand. If you are a wheeler you really are looking for low end power below say 4500 RPMs. Single plane intakes are fine on small blocks(in fact i would not use one on a big block) they are just for more street strip engines that produce max power in higher Rs. A good dual plane would be a better idea for a 4x4 in my opinion, I really like the look of the Edelbrock Performers, thats the one I want.

4. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

i'm a mudder. high RPMs are my friend. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

Stock ratio rockers will give little power increases....
    If going to the 1.6 ratio. Plan on around 10hp.

For an intake try the performer RPM series. It is great all around. Even if you like high RPM as you state, do you mean in excess of 6000 rpm, if not you do not need a single plane.

What trans & gear ratio are you running? This will help the recommendations.

6. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

putting roller rockers on stock heads with a small cam "260 grind" is pointless in my opinion, first off roller rockers do operate smoother, but do you really need them, the roller tip and rolling bearing in the fulcrum are only needed with lots of lift, high rpm, higher then I think you may intend, also clearence for bigger valve springs. dude spend your money whereit counts and will make a difference, intake, I run an rpm and it works great, headers, cheap and make a big difference, a carb, personally I don't like quadrajets but run whatever you like, timing chain can be a good upgrade along with a cam for the stock chains get sloppy with a lot of miles greatly affecting performance

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you're just running mud, think Comp Cams 292-H Magnum camshaft, with a 3000 rpm stall converter. Big lopey cam !!! 501 lift, 292 dur., and 110 lobe sep. !!! I just to run that in my Hot Rod 73 Camaro.

8. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

If you're going mud, you're gonna be using lots of high RPMs so you may as well go with a single plane intake and a nice lopey cam.

9. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

what do you need a single plane manifold for? when a peformer or an rpm or any dual plane for that matter will work better at lower rpm's then a single plane and just as well if not better then a single plane at high rpm's, sometimes I think people misconceive the fact that when you hop up an engine your trying to make everything (cam, intake,carb,heads) work together, throwing a single plane on a stock small block chevy and expecting a performance gain /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif, single planes for small block chevys are for high performance not a hop up bolt on, if anything I think you would lose a tremendous amount of power, no means to rag on the idea just baseing on experience