Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which engine to get?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fortcollinsram, Aug 18, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I am looking into getting a new engine in the next few months or so as my 350 has become tired and has seen it's better days...I an looking at a new engine and plan on rebuilding the current 350 for another project...

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://coloradok5.com/forums/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1029654671fortcollinsram">

Which Engine
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />Jasper reman TBI 350
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />GM Goodwrench TBI 350 with stock heads
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="3" />GM Goodwrench TBI 350 with Vortec heads...would require getting the GMPP vortec TBI intake
    <INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

Is the Vortec worth the extra $$$?It would be about $700 to get teh vortec motor...What are your thoughts on the situation?

Thanks,

Chris

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

If you need to get the intake, dealer cost on one is $305 so you might be able to get them to lower the price.

3. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Scoggins Dickey (www.SDPC2000.com) has a TBI/Vortech roller motor that comes with the intake mentioned...at 330hp, it's what I'm leanin' towards, even tho I would prefer the 385 Fast Burn which would require another $1500 for the TPI setup...I just realistically don't need that much motor

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Fortcollinsram 355 sounds the best if you ask me. Building your motor can be a very rewarding and enjoyable experience. If you don't feel up to that, I'm the machince shop could assemble it. Some shops may even let you assemble it their and offer assitance. That may take a little off the bill. This way, YOU can pick what goes in the motor, and at a slighty less cost. Not whatever cheaper parts other places put in to keep costs down. You could get Clevite bearings, Hastings rings, Comp Cams camshafts, ARP bolts, whatever you fancy. Then you could dump your old heads and slap on a set of brand spanking new vortecs. You can also pick a really bitching paint job, like my yellow block and valve covers, with black heads. A 330+hp bumble bee, /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

You might consider a 383. We recently installed a 383 w/Vortec heads and Edlebrock MPFI in our '90 Jimmy. It doesn't produce quite as much hp as the 385, but produces a lot more torque and was a lot less expensive. It is running off the stock computer with a modified chip.