Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which engine?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SUB-ZERO, Jun 9, 2005.

1. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

Well it's time for me to start thinking about replacing the tired old 305 in my K5.I was thinking originally about a diesel or big block.But a very close friend purchased a Gm crate ZZ4 350 about 2 yrs ago for a his project Hot Rod .Well it never made it into the car as the frame and tubbing just got finished.He is now set on a BB and wants to sell me the SB.He has periodically turned the engine over by hand to keep it oiled.We set it in the frame and started it about 8 months ago and it sounded good.It is about a $4000 motor and I can get it for $2000.About 400HP and about 400lbs torque with the right header and carb set-up.Good way to go or not?

2. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I say go for it.

If you go BB, you'll probably break more stuff, and its heavier.
    If you go diesel, its heavier, and you have to get a different torque converter.

SBC seems like the economical choice, and if you can get a good deal on a powerful one, why not?

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Jump on that deal.

4. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a good deal to me. However, my dad put one of those in his 37 Chevy, and it had problems overheating, even with an aftermarket radiator. Never did figure out the problem, and ended up selling the car before the issue was resolved. Could have been a one time fluke. 2k sounds like good deal though..

5. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

Its definately a little more power than my stock 305!Wonder how my 700r4 will hold up?

6. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

if i could get a ZZ4 for only $2k i'd jump on it in a heartbeat :) just remember how built up that engine is... 700R4 might blow up at ya, if you can, I'd swap in a built th400, or at least a later model 700R4 (like '91 or so)

7. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

zz4

I'd be on that like micheal jackson on a 10 year old :blush: :ignore:

8. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

Will a TH400 from a 2WD Suburban fit? I have one thats good for free.Or should I get a manual?