Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which Exhaust sounds best and performance parts?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lotsa_Faith, Feb 10, 2002.

1. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

1.) What exhaust would sound best, dual flowmaster 40's (delta flow cause i believe they quit making the original), dual glasspacks, or straights?

and

2.) What are some performance mods yall have done to hype up your carbureted 350? what kinda headers are best?

Mike Dee

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

"Sounds best" depends on what you want......Do you think that louder is better? Or do you prefer a quiet idle/loud when accelerating set up? I run dual 2 1/4" pipes out of the factory manifold with Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers(no cats). My 84 has a pretty mellow idle and a nice roar during acceleration.

Keep in mind that a really loud exhaust system can get irritating after a couple of hours on the highway, although I'm an old guy and I don't like noise as much as I used to.[​IMG]

The best ways to spice up a 350 without digging into the engine are headers and a K&N air filter. There are a whole bunch of aftermarket ignition systems to look at, although I don't know much about them. You can also ditch the AIR pump system if emissions aren't concern. And make sure that your engine is in tune- that alone can make a BIG difference.

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>

3. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Exhaust sound is all personal opinion, I think straight pipes and glasspacks sound like crap and I really like the sound of flowmasters. Performance upgrades, on the other hand, all depends on how much money you wanna spend and how complicated you wanna get.

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Like the others said a good muffler is a good way to go and glass packs and strait pipes can hurt your power since there is no back pressure. For power the big thing is to get matching parts which is easy anymore I did the Edelbrock Performer package on mine, carb, intake and cam really helped out. Holley has a similer set up if you prefer. I used an Accel ignition up grade on mine wich helped on power and economy and Flowtech headers. They wer'nt that much and are a pretty good header no complaints yet I also Got dual 2 1/2" pipes running through Flowtech mufflers, they look and sound almost like Flowmasters for a lot less. But it don't really matter cause there is a 454 setting in the back waiting to be droped in HE HE.

Corey 78K5
    350CI, TH350, 203, Dana 44,12 Bolt, 4"lift, Shackel Flip, Sawsall and 35" BFG's

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am going with 50 series Flowmasters for my exhaust. I already have duals with turbo mufflers, but they don't have enough tone or roar for me. As for pepping up you carb 350. K&amp;N can help along with headers. Also have someone dial in your carb to your motor. My personal favorite is MSD Ignition though. I put the MSD 6 Offroad box on my carb 350, and it made my engine run a hell of alot better. It was the best thing that has been done to my truck so far. (with the exception of the 350 for the tired 305). My mileage went up, my power went up, throttle response increased, etc. My driveability was greatly improved by the MSD ingnition. The one thing I really liked was my passing power really increased. My motor was actually pulling in overdrive which I never had before. Overall, I'd say dual exhaust, K&amp;N, MSD, and headers. (not necessarily in that order)

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

6. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

I have run flowmasters on many trucks and deff liek their sound. I have 40 sers now and have 50 sers on my dads suburban. They both have the flowmaster sound. I choose flowmaster for their specific sound and b/c they were a little cheaper than my 1st choice being Borla. Not too many guys use Borla on trucks but they are very popular on fbodys. Really have a great sound. I would describe the sound as raspy or just flat out mean. Flowmaster also has a mean sound but the tone of a borla is just a tad more tuned. Of course its all prefernce. Check out Borla.com, they have sample sounds. BTW off of my trucks have no cats and duals so the sound is a little louder and deeper than with cats.

Ben
    85,90,90K5
    91,95 Suburban

7. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

I have run flowmasters on many trucks and deff liek their sound. I have 40 sers now and have 50 sers on my dads suburban. They both have the flowmaster sound. I choose flowmaster for their specific sound and b/c they were a little cheaper than my 1st choice being Borla. Not too many guys use Borla on trucks but they are very popular on fbodys. Really have a great sound. I would describe the sound as raspy or just flat out mean. Flowmaster also has a mean sound but the tone of a borla is just a tad more tuned. Of course its all prefernce. Check out Borla.com, they have sample sounds. BTW off of my trucks have no cats and duals so the sound is a little louder and deeper than with cats.

Headers..same thing. Preference. Try to get ones with the thickest flange as possible.

Ben
    85,90,90K5
    91,95 Suburban

8. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

go with the flowmasters you wont be disapointed[​IMG]

wheeling pics

9. keeferk5

keeferk5 Registered Member

If you are looking to replace the entire exaust, don't forget to look at the hi-flo catalytic con., I went with Cat-co and duel raven mufflers and 2-1/2" pipes all the way. I love the sound, power, and my milage went up. Now looking at the new holley carb.

My hotrod goes anywhere I want it to.

10. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

The wife got ticked off at me the other night, jumped in my Blazer and took off like a bat out of hell (without letting it warmup I might add). I had never heard anyone get into my truck like that before (since I'm always driving it) and it sounded damn fine. Its a single pipe (3") to a Ravin 33. Sounds very nice.

John

11. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'd suggest the 50 series flowmasters.
    If you want to hear what they sound like on my K/5 with a 355, long tube headers, and H pipe and dual 50 series, with tail pipes out the back. <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/Ryans1972Blazer/videoclips.msnw>Click Here</a> for some video clips.

[Real Men Don't Care About Gas Mileage Or Rapid Tire Wear!]
    1972 K/5
    Ryan B.

12. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I have flowmasters on my 4x4. I put dynomax 6" diameter race mufflers on my 2wd and I must say they sound real good. I was just looking for something with a different sound than the flowmaster without sacrificing horsepower. They are not what I consider too loud, they have a nice deep tone.

'80 K10 350/350/NP205/14B/10B/4.10/4"Lift/Q78-Buckshots

13. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

I've got all Dynomax exhaust from the headers back and I'm pretty happy with it. I got the cheap ($30) Dynomax Super-turbo mufflers that are supposed to flow as good as flowmasters, but their not nearly as loud. The whole thing cost under $300 from Jeg's that's headers, pipes, and mufflers.

77 Blazer, 350, NP203, K&N, 31-inch Cooper Discoverers
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jonathandwill>http://community.webshots.com/user/jonathandwill</a>

14. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

Hehe.. so while your wife is tear-assin off thinking to herself "Yea, now I bet he's wondering where I'm going and if I'll be back.. hopefully he has tears in his eyes!" you're inside going "Damn.. I have an awesome sounding truck"

:)

15. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

LOL[​IMG] My wife has roared off in my Blazer a time or two. When she lights up the tires I really know shes pissed.
    And I always think.... Damm my truck sounds good ! [​IMG]

Dont ya love her madly........ Dont ya love her when shes walking out the door ..............
    Jim Morison

Edelbrock headers into single 3" with flowmaster 70 series No cat.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze> Blazer pics</a>

<font color=blue>Nevada... Where the pavement ends and the west begins<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Thunder on 02/12/02 05:47 PM.</FONT></P>

16. high&liftedup

high&liftedup Registered Member

I run flowmasters with headman headers. I like the sound of the flows but the headman's I don't recommend. They leak a bit and I could not use 4 of the stage 8 locking bolts cause of the clearance.

As far as mods, I agree with Harley on the MSD. I run the offroad box BUT I highly recommend the entire MSD: Billet dist. and superconductor wires. BIG DIFFERENCE...

and of course, K&amp;N with a new Q-Jet (Edelb. if you can find a good one.)
    With these mods, you will be surprised....
    ...........then a cam, and gears, and lockers, and.....
    have fun!

HE will always get you out of the mire clay!!!

17. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I have the headman headers and 2.5" dual with 2 chamber flowmasters...sounds sweet and it is a basic 350.

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the damn thing!!

18. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Over on the 1st gen board Steve Chin recomended to someone a CD that had a bunch of different brands and types of mufflers/exhausts. I think it even had X-pipe vs. H-pipe and a listing of dB levels. <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=firstgen&amp;Number=322610&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1>This is the link</a>

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The best flowing cat is a lack of one.

I persoanally don't think Flowmasters have any place on a truck. They just don't sound right with tailpipes, and 4x4 trucks are too far from the ground for dumps (not to mention they'd hang up on everything).

I had 12" glasspacks. I am putting straights on it now.

Performance parts? I have an open element air cleaner, Edelbrock intake, Comp cam, Dynomax headers, and 2 1/4" duals with no cats that I can think of right off the bat for, "Performance parts".

Do stickers add horsepower? Maybe I'll get a few if they do.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

20. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I have a set of Summit racing turbo mufflers and they are way too annoying. Of course they put the punks in their new 1500 dodge rams with a $400 gibson exhaust to shame, but it draws too much unwanted attention (police). I also bought a set of summit racing headers and they are great...they got a little rusty after time but no problems at all. One performance mod I have recently done is ditching the mechanical fan for an electric one...Its not a huge deal but I can tell a little difference! I could tell a difference when I installed a K&amp;N airfilter too...