Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which exhaust system is better

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1st timer, Dec 12, 2000.

1. 1st timer

1st timer Registered Member

i'm trying to decide what to put on my truck can anyone tell me the different sounds between flowmasters or cherry bombs(glasspacks)or just taking everything out and just putting it straight all way throught and which one would give me the best performance.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

go with the flowmasters i love mine dont go straight pipe you need to have some back pressure just my .02

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

3. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i love my magnaflow!!!
    its got a lifetime warrenty as where flowmaster only has a 1 yr warrenty

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    K5: Because size DOES matter

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Cherry Bombs still being made? Hard to believe, haven't heard a glasspack in years. Not a good sounding muffler, but good for........attracting attention, sometimes the wrong kind. Sorry, but IMHO they sound like heck. Any good Turbo style muffler is the way to go, but I guess it's your choice. We all have opinions on stuff but glasspacks when compared to a good Flowmaster or any other Turbo style muffler just don't cut it. Just my $.02

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

5. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

You can hear the Flowmasters in my Blazer if you visit my website. Just click on the link below.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

6. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

While Flowmasters are louder than MagnaFlow's I'd still choose my MangaFlow any day (it's less restrictive and has a deeper sound).

89 K5 Silverado
    http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com

7. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

BY saying straight all the way thru it sound like you're sending it under the tailgate. This works well for trucks but with a Blazer you should kick it out behind or in front of the tires to keep the fumes out of the cab.

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

8. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

You'll actually lose power going straight exhaust, I'd go with the Flowmaster. You need some backpressure in the system for it to operate efficiently. Have had Flowmasters on every truck I've owned, they last forever and nothing to wear out. Plus, they just sound good! Cherrybombs and glasspacks?? I hope those things are taken to the scrap heap, IMHO they sound like cr*p!!

9. 91KJIMMY

91KJIMMY Registered Member

Has anyone ever put the pipes out in front of the rear wheels? How does it look?

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Did that on my first K5, looks great........if you have catalytic converters you can almost forget about trying.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

11. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

I've got the tail pipes running out in front of the back tire right now. It looks good and I don't have to worry about it getting torn up on a rock or mudd slung all over it either. I plan on re-routing it through the lower quarter someday, but it works great right now.

[​IMG]

look real close at the back tire and you can see it.

HTH,

Buddy

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

12. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I have Thrush glasspacks on my 75 Firebird. They don't sound all blatty like normal glasspacks, but they road like a racecar. Best sound I'd ever heard. Edelbrock Performer RPM mufflers sound pretty nice, too.

[​IMG]http://www.ncclassics.com