Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which fuel injection?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NCJOSH, Jun 9, 2005.

1. NCJOSH

NCJOSH Registered Member

If you were going to put a fuel injection kit on your rig, which one would you get and why? I don't have the money right now but I'm trying to put together a list of what I want to do. Thanks

2. uglyangelracing

uglyangelracing 1/2 ton status

Im doing a TPI setup out of an early camaro. It seems easy enough so far and the parts were cheap. I paid $75 for everythin from a local junk yard. If you go the cheap route it takes a little more work with wiring but I cant afford a couple grand to buy a kit. Just remember if you do it this way grab a roll of tape and sharpie. Labeling the harness is makeing it so much easier.

3. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

Efi

Going from a carb to EFI, Thottle body injection would have to be the easiest and cheapest way to go. Tuned port is ok, but the tuned port runners are only really designed to work with the cam the engine came with and it's power is limited. With throttle body injction, you can keep the intake manifold you have already, and all that's left is a minimal amount of wiring anf fuel delivery upgrades. If you REALLY want fancy-schmancy, go with a sequential port fuel injection, but be prepared to spend 2G's +.

4. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

If i was i fuel injection type of person (which I'm not) i would easily choose a TPI setup over a TBI rig anyday,
    The air/fuel distribution abilities of a tuned port system far outweigh any complexities.
    And then you could use a fully programable stand alone EFI controller such as the one from Bowling and Grippo..http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html
    and have complete control over the system for less than $250

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I went from a carb to tpi. its probably the best mod i've done to my blazer. Picked up a bunch of torque, horsepower, throttle response, dependability.. its all there.
    I've seen edelbrock pro flo setups like burt4x4 has and i've been pretty impressed with those also..
    I decided on tpi because it was about half the cost of the other mpfi setups.. if i were building a big block for fuel injection i'd probably go pro flo like burt. :cool1:

6. NCJOSH

NCJOSH Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. I posted this almost three weeks ago and I had kinda given up hope on gettin an answer. Appreciate the opinions.

7. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

My first choice would be the F.A.S.T system. It is completely customizable from the get-go. I have seen their ECM's added to plain-jane TBI systems and I have also seen full-bore ethanol-injected 600+ci BBC's with the F.A.S.T system. I am planning on the FAST system for my 355 in my C10. Pretty cool stuff...

I also like the the Edelbrock ProFlo EFI.